Night lighting question

Reclipse

How much is too much led lighting for nighttime? Just curious if it's better to give less or more. I have an extra led strip I've been using in addition to my LEDs built in my light. It looks amazing but should I let them have a little more darkness?

MMreef

I keep my tank completely dark at night.I have moonlights in my fixture ,but I think corals need some time of darkness.I guess moonlight are cool if you want to see what's going in your tank at night.

WeePee

my reef is on a 29.53 day lunar cycle with 4 blue LED pods (2x 1w LEDs per pod).

you could always set your moon lights to go off 2-4 hours after your regular lights(or however much viewing time you want). it would give you the moonlight to see the tank "at night" and it would give the fish some total darkness time.

Greg

I also do complete darkness. Corals need a rest.

It could just be the illusion of not seeing the corals for 12 hours during the night, but I actually notice better coal health with complete darkness all night.

fastrc

I run moonlight cycle on all my tanks through my reef keeper mlc controller and have very good growth on all coral.