Nikon D5000

kurens

Got a chance to buy this camera never used for fairly good price from my friend...anybody have it?how do you like it?
heard i need macro lens nad tripod as upgrade.
thanks

Tangency

I am going to ask you first what do you plan on using it for? Travel? Personal? Professional? Low light situations? What would you like your camera to do?

Knowing a little more will help give you a better answer.

In general, any Nikon SLR will be a great camera. It looks like the ISO on the 5000 goes up to 3200 which means the images will likely be full of noise at that level. I am not sure what the highest decent ISO setting is... im guessing around 800~1000. This will be important depending on what you want to do.

The majority of your expense will be in good glass. Typically, you purchase a Nikon camera for the glass. Nikon makes some of the best macro lenses you can buy. Macro lenses typically come in 60mm, 80mm, 90mm, and 105mm. Each will have a different working distance meaning how far you will need to stand from your subject. The higher the mm the farther you need to stand away.

Tripods are a great tool. If you plan on shooting in low light, using longer shutter speeds (slower than 1/60), bracketing, or macro photography... it is a must. You will also need to decide if you want it compact for traveling, a working height, and support strength. Tripods are rated for different weights and you will want a heavier duty one if you plan on using bigger lenses.

kurens

thanks for respone!
i just want it for personal use(mostly tank shots:) i can have it brand new for $400 so i think i will go for it.

Tangency

If you want to get into a DSLR, I strongly recommend craiglist or similar. Photography is much like reefing. People are always getting out of the hobby and upgrading equipment. You will be able to get better equipment and maybe even some freebies.

For mostly tank photography the higher the ISO the better. ISO works in conjunction with your aperture and shutter speed. So if you want to tank a picture at a really fast shutter speed to freeze a moving object in the frame (a fish) you with either need to open up your aperture (which blurs background and typically decreases sharpness of the photo) or increase your ISO. Typically the higher the ISO, the more noise in your photo. Its a balance.

In lenses you pay a premium for 'fast glass' Basically it lets you have larger aperture (so you can keep shutter speed high and ISO low) anything above f4.5 (ideally you would want f3.5 or lower) can result in grainy photos on many DSLR cameras.

For what its worth... you will probably want another battery, a memory card, a filter to protect your new lens from scratches, a remote shutter release, and a tripod. None of these come with the camera and are a expense you usually don't think about especially when buying a DSLR.