Nikon or Canon

salt0727

We are planning on buying a new camera but I was wondering which brand to go with. We will be getting a SLR camera so any specific ones you guys can recommend would really help us narrow it down. Thanks

SkullV

I have the Cannon Digital Rebel EOS XT, mine is an older model but still works great. My Fiance works at Best Buy in the Digital Camera department and recommended Cannon over Nikon as well, but then again, it's not like Best Buy is a camera store.

poidog

Good choice between Canon or Nikon.... remember, in a good camera you are really buying the optics. Both of these offer high quality lenses, so it really comes down to preference. I've always used canon, so I like canon. My dad has always used canon, but got a Nikon because he got a deal on it. haha In handling both, I still like my canon :)

kurens

i purchased nikon d5000 few weeks ago and i am very happy with it,need to buy tripod and macro lens though.

SkullV

i purchased nikon d5000 few weeks ago and i am very happy with it,need to buy tripod and macro lens though.
Good point on that. No matter how great your camera is most amateur photographers (myself included) will NEED these to get good shots.

FishBeard

When I bought my Nikon d70 years ago, I based my decision on the fact we already had 2 35mm Nikon bodies and half a dozen lenses, it was a no brainer for me. Starting fresh, I would honestly flip a coin apples to apples between canon and nikon. Pick the one that is more comfortable in your hand, with your staple lens mounted. Go for an anti vibration lens with a very low aperture and a good range like 18-200 mm zoom. With one nice lens, you will need less secondary lenses and have a much wider range of useability on the fly.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
The Canon Rebel will be my choice.. Price on the lens are not that bad.. My dream lens is a 100mm for my Sony. But just dont understand why $300 more vs a Canon lens : (

poidog

If you don't mind used equipment this is where most of the professionals go to sell their equipment online in a forum type setting:
www.fredmiranda.com/

If you to register before you can see the for sale forum.

KiLaGo

I bought a Nikon D300 and I have been very happy with it and the pictures it takes. However, if you are going invest in a good camera, you have to be willing to invest in the lenses, flashes, and other equipment to get the great shots.

HecticZ

I would go with a Canon, you will find more lenses available easily and used. And no they are not cheap.

Expensive hobby.

<<<MOD EDIT: Non-reef related items may not be listed for sale>>>

Halcon

I have a Nikon D90. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of friends and ended with this camera. I'm very happy with it.

WeePee

I got my Canon T1i with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens from Newegg.com (free shipping, no tax), all for $750. it also came with a $50 NFL giftcard and a 4gb SD card, which was pretty good at the time.

right now they have some good kit deals on the T2i and T3i,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120548
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120549
both are very good mid level cameras.

IMO Canon vs Nikon all comes down to which camera body you like the feel of better or which camera body you can get for cheaper. Both brands have quality lenses, as well as put out a quality product.

HecticZ

Another Reason why I prefer Canon over Nikon, is that you don't have to worry about getting lenses that have the autofocus on them. As some of the Nikon Bodies don't have Auto Focus, but all of the Canon bodies do have Autofocus.

Mods sorry about that.

fredfish13

have the canon rebel xti with about 6 lens. Very happy. lens aren't cheap with either nikon or canon. You can't go wrong with either nikon or canon. my brother got the canon T1i and he is also very happy with it. I have also a couple point and shoot canons.

mr_z

used to own nikon d40 great awesome simple to use dslr now discontinued lightweight and IMO made for someone barely getting into dslr cameras. unfortunately it got stolen :-( but id recommend it to anyone still if you can find it. i know i see plenty on ebay.i later got a d200 but sold right after i found out i was having twins. good thing i sold it a family member and they lend it to me occasionally :). it is also a great camero but heavy and tiring to carry around. but still awesome cam.

i read alot of this guys reviews.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/