Nitrates

conchman

Premium member
Okay, getting stumped here. After moving into the 50 SCA about 6 weeks ago nitrates got elevated, and cyno showed up. Figured it was from new sand. I did seed they new tank with about a cup of sand from the 20. I have been doing 5 gallon water changes every/every other day for 2 weeks and the nitrates have not even budged. I have only the 2 clowns, feed them daily a total of around 8-10 1mm pellets. They eat it all, very little ecaspes them. 1 week (maybe) feed Reef Roids and/ or frozen mysis. I feed 1/2 dose of the roids and maybe 1/8 of the cube. I have rinsed out foam in trigger sump and on MP10's, cleaned detritus from pump section, still no change, what am I missing here?

TIA

rockhead

What are you doing to remove nitrates ? Any skimming? Any marine pure blocks? Is your rock all new I’m guessing tank is to new and has not built its own filtration within its self.

conchman

Premium member
Tank is new, all rock came from the 20, did not add any. Sand was new except for the added seed also from the 20. I am now skimming, but only since Saturday. Irsug, what would you add as a supplemental bacteria?

GugsJr

TeamCR
Did you have any corals? What are your nitrates at? What's your fore set to?

My nitrates are at 25ppm and I have no algae problems.

My corals are happy with fish and inverts

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Irsug1

Premium member
Microbacter 7 or dr. Tim's.
Also the water changes could be slowing down progression. I would change it less.

conchman

Premium member
Everything came from the 20, corals. Everyone is doing good, growth even. The cyno seems to be almost coming from the Rasta frag, then spreads across the sand in 2 days time forming a 3" x 8" patch. I will look for something to add today at local LFS. Gugs, you asked what's my "fore" set to, unsure what that means. Also never stated PPM, it's 25-50. I am running a reduced photo period, and lowered it to 25% if this helps. All other test look great, calc, alk, no ammonia.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Everything came from the 20, corals. Everyone is doing good, growth even. The cyno seems to be almost coming from the Rasta frag, then spreads across the sand in 2 days time forming a 3" x 8" patch. I will look for something to add today at local LFS. Gugs, you asked what's my "fore" set to, unsure what that means. Also never stated PPM, it's 25-50. I am running a reduced photo period, and lowered it to 25% if this helps. All other test look great, calc, alk, no ammonia.
Sorry flow on your mp10

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ultimatemj

I second the supplemental bacteria suggestion. I prefer DrTims, but also like Microbacter, Fritzyme, & Seachem Stability (probably the easiest to find locally). And it may seem strange, but when you add it turn off the skimmer for a few hours to let it do its thing.

If it were me, I'd add the bacteria ASAP and switch to 10g water changes weekly...and add bacteria after completing each WC. Within a month I'd expect your tank to be stable~

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I second the supplemental bacteria suggestion. I prefer DrTims, but also like Microbacter, Fritzyme, & Seachem Stability (probably the easiest to find locally). And it may seem strange, but when you add it turn off the skimmer for a few hours to let it do its thing.

If it were me, I'd add the bacteria ASAP and switch to 10g water changes weekly...and add bacteria after completing each WC. Within a month I'd expect your tank to be stable~
Yep, I've had great success using Tim's with new tanks and, also, was going to suggest larger wc's but not as often as you're doing now.