No more fish warrantes!

SkullV

New Fish has no fish warranty either. Old Town will generally give you 7 days if you ask or they know you, but I don't think it's implied any longer.

youngreef

Pufferpunk..New fish is close to my work place..James has alot nice coral and fair price too.I bought corals from him too..sometime he has some corals for sale. good deal

youngreef

Old town aquarium!! I go there all the time...man their price is up in the sky.
they sent out an email said about 70-80% discount and asked you to look forward but never give a date..so when you go there you will spend something on other stufs.
there live rock is expensive too..I never buy stuff there..just looking to see what they have in their store.

wojak138

warranty on fish is a tricky business,
Fish get stressed, no one knows your system, your water, what you have in your tank, and some fish just die.
There is a lot of room to take advantage of someone. And its expensive to stores.
I know some places ask for water sample before you buy.
Good advice buy from place you know and that knows you, if they know you they will be more open to at least give you some credit if the fish does not make it.
Best option is to have them hold the fish for you for a week or so, you can drop in and check on it, and than decide on it.
Never buy fish that just arrived.

WeePee

if you want a warranty, have them place the fish alone in a holding tank for 3+ days before you buy it. most fish stores will do that.

the only time ive used a fish warranty is after buying online.

FishBeard

if you want a warranty, have them place the fish alone in a holding tank for 3+ days before you buy it. most fish stores will do that.

the only time ive used a fish warranty is after buying online.
3 days is nowhere long enough to know if anything is wrong with the fish beyond shipping stress. I would want at least 1-3 weeks on hold if I was risking any more than like $20 on a fish from a pet store. I'd rather buy a fish from another local that I know has been in their tank for months/years and is healthy.

BADGUS

Well can't be surprised,their sales suck and the death rate is high,so its their way to cut losses.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
It stinks when a fish dies shortly after purchase, especially when you do everything right with its acclimation. However, if I was a store owner, I'd be very reluctant to offer a warranty. Sure, there will be some fish that die from stress but how would you really know if someone didn't just throw the fish on their tank without acclimation. Or maybe added the fish in with other agressive fish who stressed it out and wouldn't let it eat.

If I owned a store, I'd quarantine ALL fish for 3 weeks before letting them leave the store. If a fish is healthy and eating when it leaves your store after 3 weeks, then it is not your fault if it dies after someone buys it.

SkullV

If I owned a store, I'd quarantine ALL fish for 3 weeks before letting them leave the store. If a fish is healthy and eating when it leaves your store after 3 weeks, then it is not your fault if it dies after someone buys it.
You might do a loose quarantine like MCF or New Fish, but you wouldn't individually medicate each fish and make sure they were 100% healthy. You wouldn't make any money. As it is none of these LFS are making any money on fish/dry goods. It's all maintenance/service contracts that keep them going.

gig

IMO, if the fish is alive in their tank after 6-7 days and eating, it should be fine in your tank if acclimimated and not bullied. Should Not be a need for a gaurantee. However, if the fish is new to the store, I won't buy it without a guarantee or unless they will hold for a week. Bad acclimation causing osmotic shock is usually the culprit. Fish eat, act normal for a day or two, then *poof* dead.

gig

You might do a loose quarantine like MCF or New Fish, but you wouldn't individually medicate each fish and make sure they were 100% healthy. You wouldn't make any money. As it is none of these LFS are making any money on fish/dry goods. It's all maintenance/service contracts that keep them going.
Pretty much what only buy fish from them anymore, they do the loose quarantine (which doesn't really assure they aren't carrying anything, just they survived acclimation and are eating). I know that if I take them home and acclimated right, chances are the fish will be ok, provided its not bullied, etc.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Pretty much what only buy fish from them anymore, they do the loose quarantine (which doesn't really assure they aren't carrying anything, just they survived acclimation and are eating). I know that if I take them home and acclimated right, chances are the fish will be ok, provided its not bullied, etc.
I agree. If they survive acclimation after their journey and are eating then my home QT tank will take care of the rest if they are diseased. Even if a fish isn't sick, the QT still provides a nice peaceful place where they can relax and learn to eat prepared foods. I just took a small Niger Trigger (2.5") out of QT and put him in my DT. He fattened up real nice. Now my clown is trying to kill him...go figure...