Non Photo Gorgonians

jrpark22000

Premium member
how long have been able to keep it/them going? They're a difficult species to keep. Not many other than dedicated tanks like [MENTION=259]MMreef[/MENTION] even try.

Smitty

Premium member
I have about 13 various sea fans/whips/gorgonians in my tank, and the blueberry is by far the most difficult. I've lost two thus far. Good luck with it, it looks great. Maybe I'll try again later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildisme

I just ordered 3. They will be here next week. See how long they last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMreef

Good luck with the blueberry gorgonians, I too tried to keep it, it lasted about 6 months in dedicated NPS tank. This one and also red seafan is almost impossible to keep long term. I have few other NPS gorgs in my system, including red and yellow finger and menella sp. I feed my mixture of dry and frozen food twice a day, and on the weekends when home they get fed 4-5 times.

Here is a shot for you :)

[/url]nps reef by Mark Mikina, on Flickr[/IMG]

Smitty

Premium member
Good luck with the blueberry gorgonians, I too tried to keep it, it lasted about 6 months in dedicated NPS tank. This one and also red seafan is almost impossible to keep long term. I have few other NPS gorgs in my system, including red and yellow finger and menella sp. I feed my mixture of dry and frozen food twice a day, and on the weekends when home they get fed 4-5 times.

Here is a shot for you :)

[/url]nps reef by Mark Mikina, on Flickr[/IMG]
Surprisingly, my Red Sea fan is doing exceptionally well. The polyps are always out. (Knocks on wood).

ReeferRick

If they are hard to keep, its that they are not getting adequate nourishment.

What are you guys feeding?
Feeding schedules,product, techniques/methods?

What im doing is taking out the gorgon , placing it in an acrylic container full of live phytoplankton and water from my tank.Then I put the container in the fridge to reuse later.

Basically a coral dip, but into a buffet ;)

Then place the gorgon back in his spot under high flo, low light .

But there must be something these guys need in their diet.

View attachment 17462

Last edited:

Smitty

Premium member
I feed my tank twice with a mixture of julians sprung phyto, and reef chili...in the early morning and in the evening. I also feed either mysis or spectrum pellets in the middle of the day. So i don't think it was the food, because all other gorgs are doing well. I think my issue was the first one wasn't in enough flow, and my second one was in too much light.

MMreef

Surprisingly, my Red Sea fan is doing exceptionally well. The polyps are always out. (Knocks on wood).

That's great to hear, how long did you have it for? Mine always stop opening after few months and then gets bacterial film all over and slowly dies. Most of research i did on it give about the same experience as mine.

Smitty

Premium member
That's great to hear, how long did you have it for? Mine always stop opening after few months and then gets bacterial film all over and slowly dies. Most of research i did on it give about the same experience as mine.
I've had it for about 2 months now. It's at the top of my tank right in the middle, where the flow of both mp10's collide.

MMreef

I've had it for about 2 months now. It's at the top of my tank right in the middle, where the flow of both mp10's collide.
Hope it continues to do well for you, usually for me i see decline around 10-12 weeks , and go downhill soon after.

madjoe

Premium member
Ive tried three blue berry ones 6months then poof dead lol . But at same time i do get lazy at about same time and stop the feeding