Northern Chicagoland LFS reciews

ReeferRick

Northern Chicagoland LFS reviews

Some quick reviews for people wanting to shop for aquarium items in the northern burbs.
scale 1-5 starfish.
My opinion, thats it.

Sho Tank -Mundenlein

View attachment 14116

Displays are always clean.Insane tank right at the entrance.Kind of dark and dingy in the front part of the store, but the back of the store is split into 1wall freshwater and 3 walls for saltwater tanks.Have had very little interaction with the staff there, not too costumer service oriented from my visits there.shame, they seem like cool guys.
Whenever I go, Sho tanks carries fan favorites like yellow tangs, clowns, Powder blues,Coral beauties ect..
1 wall fully dedicated to coral and inverts.
You will always find the most popular coral and fish here.
In my visits, Ive yet to be wowd by the stock list .I would say, they play it safe by stocking more common fish and inverts/coral.Not a bad thing,unless youre looking for more exotic items.Looks like a great place to buy a tank/stands/set ups but havent inquired about pricing.Livestock Prices are competative.
Tangs and medium sized fish around 30-36$

3.5 starfish.

Fish planet -Deerfield.

View attachment 14115

A very clean and well lit store.
Has a good selection of coral and saltwater fish.
freshwater gets its spotlight here, with many fish and plants as well as crayfish and axolotls.Very good selection of reef supplies/food/fish.He will get some rarer fish now and again.The livestock always look happy and displays are clean.The whole store seems spotless most days.Friendly staff ,the one gripe is the pricing.Frogspawn 20$ a head? Small coris wrasse 30+$ coral beauties 45+$
Cleaner shrimp 30$ . You cant really blame them, given the area that theire in, and the quality sure makes up for some pricier tags.Frags,Colonies,Fish, Plants,Bettas,Tetras he has it all.

4 starfish

Seven Seas aquatic life -Mt Prospect

View attachment 14117

New guy on the block.Recently opened,but has had its clientele for a while because of their very competative pricing and costumer service oriented staff.Store carries an exellent selection of Fish/inverts from Gobies/tangs to Sharks and rays.This store tries very hard to stock up on harder to come by fish and accompany it with a very friendly shopping experience.Store just opened, some dead fish here and there but overall is clean and very easy to fall in love with.Has a great selection of coral, adding more exotic ones every week.Sells frozen food and has a small selection of dry goods. Did I mention the very competative prices on the livestock??

4 .5 starfish

Reef Geeks -Northbrook

View attachment 14118

Small warehouse that has the very best coral at great prices.This is the spot to visit for large colonies and frags.They have 4 large frag tubs with new and interesting coral every week.Great quality and very good prices.Every visit has been good,and the staff here is informative and friendly.They also carry a good selection of fish and inverts,but its small.Yellow tangs 26$ Perculas 20$
Flame scallops 15$, you get the idea on pricing.They will carry odd items like jelly fish,pipe dragon fish and large seahorses every now and again.Owner is very accessible and open to deals if you buy more.

4.5 starfish

Aquacave-Gurnee

View attachment 14119

Strictly equipment and dry goods.
Vast selection of additives,lighting, reef supplies and tanks.Online store that delivers and has store pick up.
Decent pricing and has weekly sales and guarantee lowest pricing/price match.No storeftont for browsing,its online only.

3 starfish
===================================

Agree or disagree?
Please share your thoughts

Last edited:

plasmo

Thanks for your review.
Wow, I didn't realize that there was a LFS about 2 minutes away from me! (Reef Geeks)
I'll check them out.