Novice in Streeterville

Suolainen

Hello All,

I am new to CR and new to saltwater in general. Have had freshwater and freshwater plants before, but haven't had a tank in years. I am just in the research phase trying to pick a tank. My plan is to start with something in the 20-40 gallon range and hopefully an all-in-one. I'm currently debating between a biocube 29g and an IM 20g, but am open to other ideas as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Here is my current plan:

1) Buy a tank!!!!
2) Add water then LR and sand
3) Let it cycle while testing parameters regularly.
4) After a couple of months introduce a couple of fish (likely clownfish)
5) Add a CUC (not sure when I will do this, or need to do this)
6) Add a protein skimmer
7) After another month or two start adding coral
8) As long as I can keep things alive I want to keep adding coral and really focus on coral with only 2-3 fish.
9) Add a reactor possibly.
10) Possible add a sump with refugium or a refugium in the back of the tank.

Any input, suggestions or anyone wanting to sell equipment to get me started???

I live in Streeterville (very close to Navy Pier), are there any other reefers near me?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Welcome aboard CR Pete, glad you're doing lots of research before jumping in too deep. It's always better to go bigger with saltwater to allow for more stable parameters. You'll also likely see many people sell their first 28 and less gallon tanks after the first 6-12 months as they've already filled them. The 28G size is a great place to start but you'll find you are quite limited on your fish selection, something like a 40B open the doors to a lot more. Otherwise your list is spot on.

This is the time of year when many people decide to break down. Keep your eye on the FS area for deals.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Hello and welcome !

You can add a fish or two and some CUC after your tank cycles; same with the protein skimmer. I would start the tank with the sump/fuge already plumbed to your main tank rather than add one later. You don't have to use a protein skimmer especially with a smaller tank but you would have to keep up with water changes.

tinman

Hello Buddy

welcome to the area and the forum ..

my only suggestion is get as big of a tank as you can,

bigger tanks may seem like a lot of investment initially but they are less work and more intresting with wider fish choices ..

also tanks with sumps are much much easier to deal with than AIOs ..

corals and fish love bigger tanks :)

scrounge the deals and sales on this site and you would be able to find a pretty sweet deal for a bigger tank .. there is one 65 gallon for sale right now on market place here and would cost you less than an aio ..

cet98

save your money and get a kitten......less money and all the lovin' you could ever ask for!....

qwertymo13

Welcome to CR!

Remember these words to tell your SO:

-Every frag is only $5

-Every piece of equipment is "not that much"

Suolainen

I finally bought a tank!!!! (Used 30x20x16 AIO ~40 gallon from the forum here) Super excited to get it tomorrow and get working on my new projects! Now my next task is to decide on lighting. I won't be setting the tank up until July or August so I have some time, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I want to go with LED. I have looked at the IM 18W Skyye LEDs, but wasn't sure if 2 of them would provide enough light or not. I know I want to have primarily corals and I will basic and work my way up but don't know if I will make it all the way to SPS or not. Was thinking of getting a lighting system that I could do just about anything with, but also trying to keep the cost reasonable. Any suggestions?

jrpark22000

Premium member
Congrats. Just be careful the expense doesn't spiral out of control :) Other stuff like rodi, ato, timers/controllers can really add up.

tinman

I finally bought a tank!!!! (Used 30x20x16 AIO ~40 gallon from the forum here) Super excited to get it tomorrow and get working on my new projects! Now my next task is to decide on lighting. I won't be setting the tank up until July or August so I have some time, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I want to go with LED. I have looked at the IM 18W Skyye LEDs, but wasn't sure if 2 of them would provide enough light or not. I know I want to have primarily corals and I will basic and work my way up but don't know if I will make it all the way to SPS or not. Was thinking of getting a lighting system that I could do just about anything with, but also trying to keep the cost reasonable. Any suggestions?
i suggest this

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/26448-Razor-160W-27-quot-16K?p=303953#post303953

Max spect razor is a really wonderful light .. little too white but i had everything growing nice and smooth under it for over a year and is perfect for your tank size of you can hang it (exception of nems, i dont think any led other than kessil leds are capable of keeping nice colors on Nems, but thats just my IMO)

Suolainen

i suggest this

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/26448-Razor-160W-27-quot-16K?p=303953#post303953

Max spect razor is a really wonderful light .. little too white but i had everything growing nice and smooth under it for over a year and is perfect for your tank size of you can hang it (exception of nems, i dont think any led other than kessil leds are capable of keeping nice colors on Nems, but thats just my IMO)
How do you think the Razor compares to the Radion XR30w G3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

How do you think the Razor compares to the Radion XR30w G3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Radion and razor are two different things

Razor is plenty enough to have a nice reef, radion is MORE than enough to have a nice reef :)

IMO radion costs twice a razor but doesnt do twice the benifit :) over a 30 inch deep sps dominant tank yes id say radion is nice but with just 16 inches deep .. Razor is plenty enough. There is a guy on here who will sell his radion g3 pro too shortly, let me dig that up for you

Sent from my iPhone

Suolainen

Radion and razor are two different things

Razor is plenty enough to have a nice reef, radion is MORE than enough to have a nice reef :)

IMO radion costs twice a razor but doesnt do twice the benifit :) over a 30 inch deep sps dominant tank yes id say radion is nice but with just 16 inches deep .. Razor is plenty enough. There is a guy on here who will sell his radion g3 pro too shortly, let me dig that up for you

Sent from my iPhone
I am leaning toward the Radion as I want room to change/expand in the future. That would be great if you know someone selling one!