O-ring advice for Kalk Stirrer

100LL

So I have this MRC Kalk Stirrer that is missing the o-ring for the top and after finally tracking down a replacement the size and material I thought I needed, (6 1/2" ID 3/16" diameter FDA Silicone) after install I quickly discovered that the size and/or material isn't going to work because it's leaking under pressure. Anyhow, does anybody know the trick/rule of thumb to buying the correct size and material o-rings for reactors? I've been unable to locate any useful info in my research and I'm really getting impatient...

Here are some pics:

100LL

Have you tried putting vaseline or a lubricate on the ring and then install the cover?
No, but a suggestion worth considering. Thank you. I'm not familiar with compatibility of Vaseline in the reef but I will research and see if that or another product is a good option.

Note that I did consider a silicone caulk bead under the o-ring but I would rather have a proper fix.

rockhead

I have a make a oring kit that we can play around with when you stop over , has a few different sizes

Tom

Volcano1

I have run a small bead of aquarium silicone under gaskets like those,to help seal hold in place.
I always use magic lube by Aladdin Equipment company
It's Teflon based and non toxic, never had any issues. I usually find it at a pool supply store. I use it on o-rings and any threaded fasteners. Makes taking on and off lot easier. HTH's.

skjohn98

That o-ring looks like it should seal, it should fit down into the groove and not fall out it tipped up side down. It should also be above the flange, when you put the top on drop it straight down and then put in the screws and tighten them like you would the lug nuts on a car rim.
We use o-rings on hundreds of applications in our plant at pressures you will never see up to 5000 psi
You should not have to use grease , silicone or anything like that with the correct size
John