Ocean Revive Leds

Darienreefs7

Hi everyone. I'm looking to upgrade my ai sols on my 125 and I have a couple questions about ocean revive leds. What fixtures do you guys run? Are you keeping sps coral growing? Any complaints or concerns? Do they bring out the colors in corals like metal halides or t5s? Is the full spectrum appealing? Sorry if I seem crazy but I don't want to dish out 4-500 on some fixtures that won't be great for my tank. I'm also open to other LED fixtures. Keep in mind I have a budget. I would really like Ai Hydras or Ecotech Radions, but they are much too expensive for me. Thanks

Sawdonkey

Premium member
They will do everything you want them to do. They are similar components as reef breeders, and a lot of people have success with those. The spectrum is fine. They come with cool whites and I wish they were warm whites. The diodes are easy to replace though. I may replace the whites with warm white in a few months.

I have four T247s over my tank. I'd buy them again. Major bang for the buck.

Darienreefs7

They will do everything you want them to do. They are similar components as reef breeders, and a lot of people have success with those. The spectrum is fine. They come with cool whites and I wish they were warm whites. The diodes are easy to replace though. I may replace the whites with warm white in a few months.

I have four T247s over my tank. I'd buy them again. Major bang for the buck.
Are you keeping sps coral growing? If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay per fixture? Your have a 220 right? What corals are you keeping on the sandbed? Thanks for all the info and sorry for all of the questions...

98silverado

If someone can coordinate one. I can look into tomorrow on my day off. Just need to see how many fixtures we will need to get

Sawdonkey

Premium member
@ $148 per fixture, a group buy probably isn't worth any potential savings.

Yes I keep sps. I have birdsnest and stylos on and near my sandbed on a 30 inch deep tank. I just got my first acros with these lights, but like I said, the components are similar/the same as reefbreeders/ Evergrows, and I had plenty of success with those and many others do too. I'm sure the Ocean Revives will perform similarly.

Darienreefs7

@ $148 per fixture, a group buy probably isn't worth any potential savings.

Yes I keep sps. I have birdsnest and stylos on and near my sandbed on a 30 inch deep tank. I just got my first acros with these lights, but like I said, the components are similar/the same as reefbreeders/ Evergrows, and I had plenty of success with those and many others do too. I'm sure the Ocean Revives will perform similarly.
Yeah that's what I'm seeing them on the sight. I'm probably gonna look at 3. As far as shadowing? Do you have much with the four? would I be ok with 3?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yeah that's what I'm seeing them on the sight. I'm probably gonna look at 3. As far as shadowing? Do you have much with the four? would I be ok with 3?
This is what I told another member that was asking how I liked them:

I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. My tank is 72x24 and 30 tall. These are no frills, but the built in timers and intensity setting are nice. Only one cord is nice. I don't miss the sunrise/sunset of my old lights.
The reason why I replaced my it2040s was because the front and back of my tank was dark. I couldn't really grow sps near either glass. I hung the T247s with the long way going from front to back. This gives 16 inches of coverage vs the 8 inches on my old lights. The one problem most people have with led is that they give shadows and the spread is not good. By covering a large amount of my tank, I've really reduced this problem. My thinking is that I'm doing the exact opposite of what a Kessel does.

I got the lights after my aefw debacle, so I can't speak to their success on acros, but my montis, birdsnest, and stylos seem good. I've taken these lights apart and swapped out some leds, and I've seen the components. They are identical to my old lights and I assume the performance will be similar. Now I just get better coverage.

Darienreefs7

This is what I told another member that was asking how I liked them:

I don't think you can beat the bang for the buck. My tank is 72x24 and 30 tall. These are no frills, but the built in timers and intensity setting are nice. Only one cord is nice. I don't miss the sunrise/sunset of my old lights.
The reason why I replaced my it2040s was because the front and back of my tank was dark. I couldn't really grow sps near either glass. I hung the T247s with the long way going from front to back. This gives 16 inches of coverage vs the 8 inches on my old lights. The one problem most people have with led is that they give shadows and the spread is not good. By covering a large amount of my tank, I've really reduced this problem. My thinking is that I'm doing the exact opposite of what a Kessel does.

I got the lights after my aefw debacle, so I can't speak to their success on acros, but my montis, birdsnest, and stylos seem good. I've taken these lights apart and swapped out some leds, and I've seen the components. They are identical to my old lights and I assume the performance will be similar. Now I just get better coverage.
Thanks for everything. I think when I make the decision I'll start with 3 and them if I need another I can always add one.

Spartanman22

I had one on a 25 cube sps dominant tank. It was a fantastic light for the price. I originally bought I for my frag tank but liked it so much that I took my kessil A350 off the DT and put the OR-T247 on the DT.

I was able to grow any coral I wanted. I had a gig on the bottom of my tank and a deresa as well that both thrived. But be careful because these things are far more intense than you may think. I had mine start at about 50% blue and 30% (my kessil was previously at 100% blue 75% white) and I saw some paling on my acros. I dialed it down to 25% 15% respectively and they began to color up again.

I did end up going back to halides though. I just think halides are a little better than leds but regardless the OR grew all sorts of corals and looked pretty good too! The fixture I pretty sleek and looked good on a rimless tank.

Darienreefs7

I had one on a 25 cube sps dominant tank. It was a fantastic light for the price. I originally bought I for my frag tank but liked it so much that I took my kessil A350 off the DT and put the OR-T247 on the DT.

I was able to grow any coral I wanted. I had a gig on the bottom of my tank and a deresa as well that both thrived. But be careful because these things are far more intense than you may think. I had mine start at about 50% blue and 30% (my kessil was previously at 100% blue 75% white) and I saw some paling on my acros. I dialed it down to 25% 15% respectively and they began to color up again.

I did end up going back to halides though. I just think halides are a little better than leds but regardless the OR grew all sorts of corals and looked pretty good too! The fixture I pretty sleek and looked good on a rimless tank.
Why do you prefer halides? Do they color coral better or do you like the spectrum better? As far as the OR, did you keep it for the frag tank or keep the kessil?