Ocean Revive T247B or AI Hydra 26s

bulldog0407

Premium member
Going to a larger tank 120g (48x24x24) from 93g (30x30x27) and now I have to buy some lights. I currently have an ATI 8x24 with reefbrites but I do not have the budget to buy another ATI fixture for 48”. Currently I am between buying 2 AI 26s or 2 Ocean Revive T247B. Since the tank upgrade was very unexpected my reason for the T247 thought is budget.

Thanks

Coral Man

Premium member
Id keep that ati in the center and get some ocean revives on the side. I use ocean revive over a mixed tank and can’t complain, good growth in most coral as well.

tinman

Problem with ocean revive when compared to ai hydra is reliability .. you never know when Chinese leds go bad or their controller can go bad running lights at much higher intensity cooking your precious corals ..

I have used about 7 brands of leds including occean revives and settled with radions, OR would grow corals no doubt as long as they work properly .. but if its a long time investment id suggest ai hydras or radions ( ai hydras for sps dominant tanks and radions for mixed reefs to be more specific )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#theMatrix

What I did with the brace issue on other tanks was...create a gap with rockwork so no corals need to be placed there. But if rock work is there. Then don't place corals under the brace. The shadow will be there but no issues.

As far as lights go. Try searching for a 48in t5 even a tek light does great(I ran one for 2yrs)

My cousin ran his reef with a standard 54w t5 grow light 48in...sure most lights are branded for reef. But any t5 fixture with bulbs for aquariums(ati/kz) will work. No names.
If inside a canopy you can fill up space with retros and keep the current fixture
Make sense?

bulldog0407

Premium member
The center bar is not an issue with the 48” light, only if I was trying to use the 24” then supplement it. I think for now I’m going to go with 2 - 26 HDs and add 4 T5 retros into my Hood. Thanks everyone!

ultimatemj

I like the AI LED/T5 approach, but (unless you have a tall hood) you may find the dispersion of two 26s casting shadows.
I had 2 AI52s and moved to 4 AI26s to be able to shift lights around when changing aquascape (I often have the outside LEDs shifted further out, but I had the autofeeder when taking this pic). That said, shadows can be helpful when mixing LPS & SPS, as you can put the LPS in the less bright locations.
View attachment 23267View attachment 23268
I run the LEDs on a ramp up from 7am (10%) to 11am (50%) to 3pm(50%) to 9pm(10%), and the T5s from 12pm to 3pm.

Last edited:

cammunoz

Don’t waste money just get the hd 26s trust me reliability and quality is key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro