Official CR Top Down photo Thread

EyeReef

Please post all your Top Down photo of your reef tank here.
This thread can also be used to discuss tips and tricks of how to take great top down photos.

jm23

Here is my checklist:
-Turn all the flow off
-Turn lights all the way up (whether it is blue only or a mix)
-Use photobox/portal (instantly improves your photo taking ability)
-WRAP THE CAMERA STRAP AROUND YOUR NECK!!!
-Set camera to RAW
-Turn camera on manual (just starting this myself)
-The reason you turn your lights up is so you can turn your ISO down, faster shutter speed, and f-stop around 11 or 13
-Brace against frame of tank or center brace
-Regret having just had a pot of coffee
-Take the photo
-Adjust, Try again, Take the photo (x10)
-Edit in Lightroom (Temp and exposure only)

Jep21

Turned off all the flow and waited for water to settle taken with my iphone 5c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Learn your camera and practice!! My benefit is having a frag tank only 8" high, which allows me to take photos from above vs through the side of a tank. But using red gel or Red tinted plastic will help talking pictures under LEDS...

rozdab

Even if you are not in the Avast giveway please submit your photos. Lets use this thread for all top down shots. If you want to be in the contest please post in that thread that you would like to enter and let us know what type of camera you use. Only use this thread to submit your photos.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Taking with no gel sheet under LED's. Standing above the tank and no editing nor in RAW mode.

Now using red gel sheet... Not bad at all!!!

Last edited:

rako1

Premium member
Mia if you don't mind letting out a few secrets on taking pic's a lot of us pep's would love to know iso/f stop? you take great pic's

Joe Lydon

Common guy..I know you buy an Avast Portholes..or you need a Portholes..

Mai, good picture but ISO is too high! Starting to show grain. exif data - "Auto exposure, 1/41 sec, f/9, ISO 1600". Go 1 or 2 F stops bigger and do 400 or 800 ISO. Much more clarity.

maidia

Team CR
I know Joe L, I love to try 1600 ISO...sometime to dark for 800 and under...because my hand is shaking...