Old RODI - should I change my filters?

fit

I have just acquired a Vertex Puratek 100 RODI unit off of Craigslist. ($75.00)

Here is the manual.

http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Portals/0/products/waterPurifyingSystems/ro-diSystems/puratekManual100.pdf

The unit was purchased new by the previous owner and used for say six months to a year and then stopped producing water completely. The unit sat then for six months to a year with water in it but with no flow through.

I purchased it and fixed it (the low pressure solenoid valve was not turning on and needed a simple electrical repair). The unit functions perfectly now. All functions work. The on board TDS meter reads 0ppm and is reading other than 0ppm on diluted (with the RODI water it produces) tap or waste water. It flashes 50ppm (overload I presume) on undiluted tap or waste water. The amount of waste is approximately double the amount of RODI water produced.

Should I change the filters?

poidog

Yes change all the filters. If it sat that long I'm sure there is bacteria and mildew in the filters.

Normally the filters should be changed out every 6-12 months.

fit

I agree there may be bacteria or mildew - mold or fungus. But the water does not smell and there is no discoloration I can see on the filters - canisters are transparent.

Assuming that there is mildew, mold, fungus, and bacteria, can you think of a way to save any of the filters, perhaps vinegar, bleach, hot water?

Tangency

I think hot water destroys the membrane.
If it was my RO unit, I think I would just replace the filters. If you are willing to risk it at least make sure you're getting 0 TDS water.

rako1

Premium member
filters dont cost much 10 bucks each but the membrain is a little expensive but worth it to get your system running right and a tds meter is 10 dollars on ebay good idea to get also