Old School Lighting question.....

tikireefer

So I have been running a 250W Metal Halide on a CoralVue Electronic ballast with a 20K radium Bulb. I loved the color and so did my coral. I was getting some amazing color on my sps, but the growth was slow. It was time to replace the bulb, so I decided to try a different bulb hoping to get more growth. I went with a 250W Reeflux 12K. I am not really happy so far and the corals don't seem to be doing well either. The bulb seems dim to me and the sps seems to be struggling. I ended up moving the sps that I could to a frag rack to get them closer to the light and that seems to have helped. The color of some of my sps seem to be shifting to a more green look.

Any advice? Anybody ever try running this bulb - ballast comb? I know I am old school now that LEDs are the new thing......but I am hoping someone might have some advice for me.

Thanks!

tikireefer

Thanks for the reply.

I have never run any XM bulbs, but heard good things about them.

I might just go back to the radium 20k bulb. I know that I liked that. These bulbs are too expensive to keep "trying" different ones.

I have an old PFO HQI ballast that I might try with the Reeflux bulb, just to see if it looks any better.

goat585

Administrator
I run the 400 watt Reeflux 12k and used to use a radium The 12k is much more white and appears far brighter than the radium. I am using a coralvue ballast as well. Not sure why yours would look dimmer.

tikireefer

I run the 400 watt Reeflux 12k and used to use a radium The 12k is much more white and appears far brighter than the radium. I am using a coralvue ballast as well. Not sure why yours would look dimmer.
Maybe using the word dimmer is not the right way to describe it. I think it is more of a washed out white color that does not make the colors pop like the Radiums did. I think that I am just a big fan of the bluer lighting.

I have read that the 400W reeflux bulbs are totally different than the 250w Reeflux as far as color.

My main concern is why my sps seem to be doing poorly under these Reeflux 12K bulbs, almost like they are not getting as much light and changing to more green tints.