Old Tank Syndrome?

tomek77pl

Hi Reefers,

Reef tank is approaching a year but recently ran into a problem. I Usually test Alk,Cal & Mag 1-2 times a month, and judge my phospahtes levels by algae. Last week I came home to a dead fish, and pissed off corals. Did 4 10 Gallon water changes in case some toxin got into the water, but the issue was still there. I finally decided to double check my test kits with a store and my ammonia came in a 1ish, nitrate, nitrite and phosphate were 0 ( all API tsts). I was told that my tank is cycling again, so this leads me to my question. What should I do? there are no fish in the tank, just 2 shrimps, crabs, urchin and clean up crew. Some corals look ok, but I definitely lost some colors in the acros ,but My refugium is growing cheato like crazy. Should I preform more water changes or wait out until the cycle is over? The real kicker is that I leave for vacation in 4 days ( gone for a month). Should I give away the inverts and hope the corals make it through?

78 degrees
Alk - 9 dkh
Cal - 445
Mag -1400

goatous

Sorry about your loss.
You ammonia result doesn't make sense, to me, if nitrite and nitrate are 0 your ammonia should be 0.
Faded acro may just be a matter of insufficient nutrients.

tomek77pl

Sorry about your loss.
You ammonia result doesn't make sense, to me, if nitrite and nitrate are 0 your ammonia should be 0.
Faded acro may just be a matter of insufficient nutrients.
Thanks. I did feed alot and did water changes, but it looks like it has caught up. My refugium was thriving and there was no algae in the tank so I kept on feeding. From what I was told, the Ammonia spike is the beginning of the cycle, since there is no bacteria to convert it into nitrite & nitrate.

labas39

Why would your tank start to cycle again? If you haven't added a large amount of dry rock or added sand, at least some things I can think of, I don't see why it would recycle.

goatous

I wouldn't think you could get rid of all the bacteria unless you are doing 100% water changes with no rock and sand to harbor some of the bacteria...

tomek77pl

Why would your tank start to cycle again? If you haven't added a large amount of dry rock or added sand, at least some things I can think of, I don't see why it would recycle.
Nothing was added(60lbs of LR and about 70 gallons total volume), the only thing that I can think of is heavy feeding. I'm Just curious if I should be doing big water changes before my trip or let the tank ride it out.

labas39

Well, other than time and money, water changes typically don't hurt.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

tinman

1st guess - stores ammonia test kit is broke

2nd guess

its not a cycle .. it probably is the spike from the dead fish ( curious what fish is it and how big is it ) and then some other dead stuff .. you will be amazed how much ammonia a big dead turbo snail can cause ..

you are not seeing the nitrite because amonia is being processed and nitrate is being processed in a whiff .. if its the begining of the cycle you would see ammonia levels increasing more than that .. do a big water change like 50% and you should be good ..

about corals still not looking good .. sometimes corals take months to get back to their original shape when hit with ammonia spike ..

tomek77pl

I will test my parameters again Saturday and perform a 15-20 gallon water change before leaving on vacation. I lost a blenny first, then a yellow kole tang couple days later. Both half eaten bodies were taken out. The reason for my concern is that I have never seen such negative impact on corals after a fish death, but it could be possible when combined with heavy feeding.

1st guess - stores ammonia test kit is broke

2nd guess

its not a cycle .. it probably is the spike from the dead fish ( curious what fish is it and how big is it ) and then some other dead stuff .. you will be amazed how much ammonia a big dead turbo snail can cause ..

you are not seeing the nitrite because amonia is being processed and nitrate is being processed in a whiff .. if its the begining of the cycle you would see ammonia levels increasing more than that .. do a big water change like 50% and you should be good ..

about corals still not looking good .. sometimes corals take months to get back to their original shape when hit with ammonia spike ..

conchman

Premium member
Outside of everything here I would try and look for an outside contamination source. My wife thinks I am dopey, I keep everything away from the tank, wipe down the hose for makeup water etc. Just a thought...