Opinions on lighting

Spartanman22

I'm planning an 80 gallon build and was initially intending on doing a floating canopy with 2 × OR-T247s and 4 × 54 watt T5s. I currently use an OR-T247 on my 25 gallon and like it a lot so figured why not do the same again, but with a little T5 supplementation.

I am following this design for the stand and canopy, so going the T5/LED combo route seemed like a good choice since I could hide it all in the canopy.

But then I got to thinking. This tank may be moved around once or twice over the next 3-5 years. So, with that in mind wouldn't it just be easier to throw on an ATI Sunpower and call it a day? I've never run a T5 only tank so I'm not really sure what to expect out of it. Although, all the nicest SPS tanks I see seem to be T5 driven.

Given the two options which would you choose? T5/LED seems to be the better option as far as shimmer/color/growth, but an ATI is the easier option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
I'm planning an 80 gallon build and was initially intending on doing a floating canopy with 2 × OR-T247s and 4 × 54 watt T5s. I currently use an OR-T247 on my 25 gallon and like it a lot so figured why not do the same again, but with a little T5 supplementation.

I am following this design for the stand and canopy, so going the T5/LED combo route seemed like a good choice since I could hide it all in the canopy.

But then I got to thinking. This tank may be moved around once or twice over the next 3-5 years. So, with that in mind wouldn't it just be easier to throw on an ATI Sunpower and call it a day? I've never run a T5 only tank so I'm not really sure what to expect out of it. Although, all the nicest SPS tanks I see seem to be T5 driven.

Given the two options which would you choose? T5/LED seems to be the better option as far as shimmer/color/growth, but an ATI is the easier option.

If you can afford it go with the ATI modular T5 Led combo

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

I was looking at those in the early stages, but I'm not too sure it's really worth it quite frankly. I've run leds, halides/leds, halides/T5's, and with all that experience I just don't think the 100% markup over the ATI sunpower produces and better results so to speak.

As far as growth and color is concerned it's my opinion (which very well may be wrong!) That there's no improvement between the dimmable sunpower and powermodule. The only advantage would be shimmer, but I can add a reefbrite and still be well under the 2K price tag of the powermodule.

Cubano32

Premium member
I was looking at those in the early stages, but I'm not too sure it's really worth it quite frankly. I've run leds, halides/leds, halides/T5's, and with all that experience I just don't think the 100% markup over the ATI sunpower produces and better results so to speak.

As far as growth and color is concerned it's my opinion (which very well may be wrong!) That there's no improvement between the dimmable sunpower and powermodule. The only advantage would be shimmer, but I can add a reefbrite and still be well under the 2K price tag of the powermodule.

Yea for sure I'm in debate if I want to get the dimmable or non dimmable T5.. I have the kessil A350 now and rarely ever dim it cuz I don't have any way to do it while I'm at work

Spartanman22

Ya same I have an A350 on my frag tank. If I go with the fixture route it will definitely be the dimmable. I would rather have the dimmable features for sunrise/sunset, acclimation, and intensity adjustment

Cubano32

Premium member
Ya same I have an A350 on my frag tank. If I go with the fixture route it will definitely be the dimmable. I would rather have the dimmable features for sunrise/sunset, acclimation, and intensity adjustment

Yea that's the same route I'm going going to do the ATI dimmable just got to think if I want the 4 or 6 bulb

madjoe

Premium member
Yea that's the same route I'm going going to do the ATI dimmable just got to think if I want the 4 or 6 bulb

6 bulbs trust me wont be happy with 4 hell i even say do 8 bulb not so much that 4 or 6 isnt powerfull enough its color combo and since u doing dimmable u can do the more bulbs and dim down if needed . I have a 6 bulb and wish i did a 8 u can get a ok color temp but the two extra bulbs would make the color perfect . Ask around im sure most will agree

Cubano32

Premium member
6 bulbs trust me wont be happy with 4 hell i even say do 8 bulb not so much that 4 or 6 isnt powerfull enough its color combo and since u doing dimmable u can do the more bulbs and dim down if needed . I have a 6 bulb and wish i did a 8 u can get a ok color temp but the two extra bulbs would make the color perfect . Ask around im sure most will agree
I don't think they make a 8 bulb 36" fixture... My tank is 36x18

Venom

Premium member
They have a 8 bulb 39watt 36" sunpower on r2r ati vendor section for 400 bucks don't know if it's dimmable has some cosmetic defects 25% off

Last edited: