Opinions Wanted on Coral Prices

1boatnut

Ok so I'm getting ready to part out my tank and need a general idea on some coral prices.

So I would like to know the going rate on the following :

Frogspawn - would you charge per head or the size
Been looking online but interested in what some of your local Lfs may be selling for.

Hammer- same question as above

Tyree green leather

And a pretty large finger leather

Like I said I have been checking online and for frogspawn and hammers it's been like 80.00 for 2" pieces

Thanks in advance for any input

trackfast

Princess Trainer
A LFS is going to charge more bc operating costs. I think it's unrealistic to charge the same price when you're a hobbyist. You can try but I don't think you'll get much interest. I used to sell Frogspawn at $5/head. If you can get $80 from someone then by all means sell everything to that guy or girl.

goatous

It’s tough using on-line pricing as a guide because the online shops can charge so much more when 90% of the country doesn’t have access to good dedicated reef LFS like we have in Chicago region. In addition to the LFS, private sellers are competing against other reefers who frag up their colonies when they get too big or want a little extra cash. I think [MENTION=189]trackfast[/MENTION] is about right for the frogspawn based on what I’ve seen.
I would check out craigslist to see what people are selling your other items for. If they have the same ads up week after week, they are probably charging above market rate and you need to take that into consideration when setting your price.
GLWS!

1boatnut

Thanks for the input. Just to be clear I don't plan on selling them for what a Lfs or online retailer would,but just wanted to get ideas on prices and adjust DOWN from there . I just looked on eBay a a 2" hammer is 30.00 but also 40.00 to ship.
Again that's why I'm interested in local ,

Top Water

It's tough around this time of year especially with all the tank break downs . People around here are stalking for free corals.

ninjamyst

Premium member
LFS charge per head usually. $15 - $20 for one head, $25 for two heads, etc. This is for common frogspawns. Price goes up by $5 - $10 for toxic or bicolor. $10 per head is usually a decent price if you are selling locally.