OpTiCz's Office Cube

OpTiCz

I was going to keep track of this over on RC, but I think I'll be spending much more time on this forum. Everyone has been super nice here :)

Anyway, I'm going to be putting together a small cube for my office. My goal is something that can fit on a desk or small table, will support coral/fish, and most importantly, it's cheap.

I'll keep the equipment list here at the top, and post pics as I collect stuff.
Let me know if you have anything you think I can use for the build.
Will be looking for the basics, tank, rock, sand, etc.
I'm off to a good start, in that I picked up a 70W MH Viper K2 from BigKev.

Equipment
70W MH light - $40

OpTiCz

Thanks captain obvious. I'll see you today to hopefully get that stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

OpTiCz

Wow, I thought I'd be able to edit the original post.
I guess not on this forum...

Anyway, I picked up a BioCube 14 for a whopping 40 from Crooks, and sold the hood for 25. Net cost of 15 dollars. It just too some elbow grease to get it looking great. Got some free crushed Coral from Crooks as well.

Also from Crooks, a recalled water heater. Took it to PetsMart and got the 35 dollar Fluval 50w heater for free.

Total so far is 55 bucks for the cube, light, crushed coral, and heater.
Next on the list is a DIY media basket and I need to find a replacement filter for the biocube for the wall between chamber 2 and 3.

SkullV

Ditch the crushed coral while you are ahead. Get some Aragonite sand and save yourself the nitrate problems down the road.

OpTiCz

Well, it's not setup yet. I'll keep an eye open for some.
Always looking for freebies :), I'm sure something will pop up.

SkullV

Well, it's not setup yet. I'll keep an eye open for some.
Always looking for freebies :), I'm sure something will pop up.
I have some that you can have for free but you will need about 3x as much. It's a start though!

OpTiCz

This is why the reefing community rocks!
Thanks for the offer Ted.
I'm not sure when I'd be able to get downtown though.

OpTiCz

Nope, but I did set it up on my desk to see how it would look.

Still need Sand and LR. Also need to make my media basket.
Hopefully I can get that all figured out soon.

soggy pocktets

I have 5 gallon bucket with rock that will need to be reseeded. There are a few nice pieces along with some base rock...it may do the job for your tank. I would like to get $1million for the rock..however, since that is not likely to happen, it's yours for free! I live in Sugar Grove, which is about 20 min. from South Elgin.

In fact, I could give you a few small pieces of live rock from current tank to help seed your nano...

Nice office by the way..a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind!