Out for family illness

SaylorsReef

Some of you may have noticed I haven’t been on the forums much this past week. I just wanted to let everyone know that I’ve been spending my time with my grandmother who is ill.

For those of you that don’t know, I moved in with my grandma a year and a half ago when she was diagnosed with dementia. She has been in and out of the hospitals since December for dehydration. All this is caused from a swallowing disorder. A month ago she became so weak we had to put her in a nursing home. I go to the nursing home several times a day to feed her. Each feeding takes about 1 ½ - 2 hours each. Each day her intake is less and less. The last two days she wasn’t able to keep anything down. It is against her wishes to be kept alive with a feeding tube.

We are going to find out if the problem with the throat can be surgically fixed. My guess is that at almost 93 years old and in her condition, she isn’t a good candidate for surgery.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

EyeReef

Brenda, no worries at all. Take care of your grandma. I pray that she will make a full recovery

BlakeT

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's health troubles Brenda. She's lucky to have such a devoted granddaughter like you. We will keep her in our thoughts.

Pufferpunk

I know Grandma has been a handful. You are a wonderful granddaughter & human being, for caring for like you do & making sure her life is as comfortable as you can.

PaPaBear

Bless you Brenda, don't forget to take care of yourself.
Your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Kwalk0306

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Hope all works out for the best. She is lucky to have someone so devoted!

SaylorsReef

I'm so sorry to hear that. Make sure to spend as much time with her as you can! Can she get out and about in a wheel chair with you? I'm sure she would enjoy taking a walk with you.

Yesterday I had her sitting up in a wheel chair to feed her, but she was falling asleep in the wheel chair. Today she isn't getting out of bed. My guess is that she won't get out of bed again. She should be set up with hospice in the next day or two.

misenplace101

My prayers are you with you and your family Brenda. Reflect and cherish the time. God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_z

my prayers are with you and your family be strong!!! speak to her and keep her company so she can be happy and hug her alot also. but just remember to be strong.

SaylorsReef

Update!!!!

Thank you for all the prayers everyone! They're working!

Just a few hours before grandma was to be put on hospice, all dehydrated and starving, she woke up, was aware of her surroundings and wanted to go for a walk outside (me pushing her in wheelchair), then wanted to eat.

After several failed attempts for her to keep any food down, and grandma's determination to fight, the decision was made to go through the surgery no matter if she survived it or not.

On Friday morning grandma was taken into surgery to repair the throat. The surgery was unsuccessful as they could not get the scope down her throat because the "pocket" that is preventing her from swallowing was too large.

On Sunday morning grandma went through another surgery to insert a feeding tube. This is only supposed to be temporary while she regains her strength to go through yet another surgery. The next surgery will be another throat surgery, but they will attempt to get to the pocket through the stomach.

She is awake now and aware of her surrounding....although a little unhappy about not being able to have any food via the mouth. :)

I can't believe she bounced back again, especially when they told me "less than two weeks".

Lmecher

Your thread hits close to home, my mother is suffering from a very aggressive form of brain cancer. Out look is bleak, she is deteriorating fast. Being that it is in her brain, there is a marked personality change. We are spending our last Easter with her and my dad in Florida. These things are so difficult to accept. I can't sleep and sometimes it is hard to breathe. You are in my thoughts. Take care of yourself too.

SaylorsReef

Your thread hits close to home, my mother is suffering from a very aggressive form of brain cancer. Out look is bleak, she is deteriorating fast. Being that it is in her brain, there is a marked personality change. We are spending our last Easter with her and my dad in Florida. These things are so difficult to accept. I can't sleep and sometimes it is hard to breathe. You are in my thoughts. Take care of yourself too.
Oh Dear! I'm so sorry! That is a tough one Linda! Thoughts and prayers for your mom and your family!