Overflows & Feeding

dfee

Premium member
Has anyone else experienced this: When I feed, my overflow noise completely changes for about 15 minutes. Almost like it's being restricted. Im only feeding a cube of mysis (thawed and strained). My only guess is that I have something living in my drain pipes (maybe sponges) and when I feed they come out more and grow in size, restricting the flow. Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
When i turn off my gyre for feeding the overflow sounds different because of the water surface not being so agitated. Maybe same case with you.

dfee

Premium member
I leave all pumps on. Nothing changes in the tank except the addition of a bunch of tiny shrimps.

SkullV

This will happen on occasion with my overflow as well (beananimal style). It is related to the surface tension of the water coupled with the difference in weight of the liquid (proteins/lipids vs. NSW/ASW). I generally turn off my return during feeding and just leave my powerbeads on for 30 minutes. This allows the fish/corals to get their food and not waste it on the sump.

dfee

Premium member
Hey thanks! Exactly the type of answer I was looking for.
I was just curious about it.
Learn something everyday

willtheld

Am I the only one that turns off his return when I feed so it doesn't go down the drain?

willtheld

Doh! This is what I get for reading the forum when I'm supposed to be programming a show!

dfee

Premium member
Am I the only one that turns off his return when I feed so it doesn't go down the drain?

I don't because I don't want my ATO to start beeping and also so my skimmer doesn't start overflowing because of the raised water level. You guys don't have this problem?

I watch the food. Barely any goes into overflow. All my food goes into water column but if I feed something like pellets that float, I soak em in tank water so they sink more.

willtheld

I don't because I don't want my ATO to start beeping and also so my skimmer doesn't start overflowing because of the raised water level. You guys don't have this problem
My skimmer and ato all shut off when I feed through the apex.

skyon888

I also use a feed mode that I have programmed through an Apex. Return pump and skimmer turn off, 5 minute delay after return pump turns back on the skimmer then kicks on again. Also have the powerheads slow down to almost nothing and then kick on halfway through the feeding cycle at 100% for 15 seconds just to stir up the food again.

This is just for frozen food, pellets are auto fed into a floating ring twice a day.

As far as skimmers overflowing when the return pump turns off, I'd suggest placing the skimmer in a chamber that doesn't have the water level effected by the return pump being on/off if possible.