PAR Readings On my DIY LED Lights

Cubsfan16

I'm trying to figure out if I am blasting my SPS with too much light....I know...no such thing My SPS just haven't got that deep coloration....though some have colored up nicely in shaded areas...which led me to take some PAR readings on my DIY ReefLEDlights build. I have decent color now but most are more of a pastel coloration. I am running 48 XP-E Royal Blue, 12 XP-E Blue, 24 XP-E Cool White, 20 XP-G Cool White (HighNoon Effect), 4 XP-E Red, 2 XP-E Green all have 80 degree optics except the red and green which have no optics. The LED's are split evenly on two 18" heat sinks 9" over a 90gal and each color is controlled by a Apex.

I switched over from a 8bulb TEK T5 setup and slowly acclimated to 100% over a 3 month period. I will say my colors are better now than then but not by much. My tank parameters run pretty stable at Cal 440-460, Mg 1350-1400, Alk 7-8, Phosphate .0-.02. I run GFO, Carbon in BRS reactors, Kalk ATO, Dose 10ml Vinegar per day, Lugols once a week.

I have a feeling part of my problem is not feeding enough. I currently feed 8 fish Spectrum pellets once per day and Rods ~1 time per week. I have recently increased feedings of Rods to once per day when the lights go off and have already seen improvements in color....though I made the mistake of lowering my lights about 2-3 weeks ago and increased feedings 1.5 weeks ago so I'm not 100% that it is not a combo of both changes.

The I ran 3 tests; the first all LEDs were at 100%, the second all LEDs were at 50% and the last test is the combo I am currently running 55% HN, 65% W,G,R, 75% RB (during peak periods - All ramp up and down)

My question to those running LEDs (or more specifically DIY'ers) is what intensity are you running your LEDs...I know everyone probably hasn't measured PAR on there units....but if by chance there are a few of you, please chime in. I am also looking at adding some more spectrum to the build....if anyone has any input on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sorry for the cyno....battling that now

Should also note that there are treads out there claiming RB LEDs PAR values are not accurately measured (under valued 20%-30% from what I've read)

BADGUS

I have done many many diy setups and can only say that the biggest issue with running diy is that you are mostly limited by the spacing of the leds aswell as the drivers you use.PAR numbers look good,the tank visually looks dim in some areas,but PAR readings show good PAR.
My suggestion is to run All blues at 85-100% and keep the whites at ~70%.The high noon kit i would just use it on a 2hr/day basis if you can control a very quick ramp up from 0-100% in the course of 10minutes.

The spectrum you might be missing is a Purple/UV to deepen the purples and reds,i know many users of the ''phoenix'' led kit that get this condition of Pastel colors over time.It's imo due to lack of proper led NM color spec. Long geeky explanation is available if you ever want to hear it PM me.

Cubsfan16

Thanks Badgus, I did notice the spotting due to the separate heat sinks. I will take your advice on the settings but I also am going to bump the fixtures up to 11.5-12" and remeasure with those settings and see what I get. I've seen pics of your fixtures...which look great I might add...and like the even layout of the LEDs and the color variety much better. I have read quite a bit on spectrum but have yet to read anything really conclusive, but it makes sense to have a broader spectrum. I recently added the Reds and Greens and was thinking about adding UV's next if color doesn't improve to what I want. How many UV's would you suggest?

Cubsfan16

Cool, thanks...yeah I was planning on adding some optics...light spillage is bad without optics on top off probably providing little benefit to coral when ran high off the tank.