Penninsula tank questions

skjohn98

I am looking to set up a pennisula tank a 180 or 220. I thought about going custom reef ready but I am now leaning towards having it drilled on one end. Does anyone have a penninsula tank that big? If you do how do you have it plumbed?
I am thinking about 2 tank drains and 1 return.
I may run the return up into the canopy and down to the far end that way i have some flow with out the need for power heads (maybe)
Any ideas and how big to drill the holes
Tia
John

superfish

Depends on return? Asume you use 1800GPH pump, then 2 of the 2" bulkhead is the smallest size I would go to insure safe.

anarchy

Do like [MENTION=4]lunacris[/MENTION] I think his was a peninsula and he went bean animal. Could be wrong but I want to say that's how he had his setup

lunacris

here is how i did mine http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/18358-my-210-peninsula?highlight=peninsula i think i used 1" bulkheads.( tank is sitting empty in basement now awaiting complete breakdown .) i drilled it for bean animal as stated above which is only way i personally trust as it has saved me many times . i had returns go over the tank to other side and had a overflow box made the way i wanted . im not on as often but if you have questions feel free to shoot a pm . good luck !!

Raising Reefs

Premium Sponsor
I did a custom built Bean Animal external overflow. Totally silent and worth the money. I am picky on the equipment and drain style used since my tank is in my family room. Tank is SPS dominant 60"x48"x25" peninsula low iron glass. Let me know if you have questions.

External overflow Bean Animal 1 1/2" drains and 1" return

Tank pic, notice the clean look of no overflow box inside the tank
View attachment 11318

Last edited:

bretts05jeep

I just put this in a couple days ago. I have two holes ( 1.5") down. I am going to run a siphon like bean animal but no safety. one will be at full siphon and the second will be enough for safety in my opinion. Im running my returns from the further part of the sump and im also going to use two return pumps incase one ever fails it wont be an emergency I will have a few days to get another one.

skjohn98

I have purchased a 220, and I plan on using a ghost over flow. I am planning on running the return above the tank to the other end. Right now everything is on hold as its going in a new house and the floor in the basement family room is not ready. Guys thanks for the advice
John