Peppermint Shrimp w/ Fire Shrimp

100LL

I'm looking at possibly breaking down one of my tanks and in thinking through the redistribution of livestock I'd like some feedback.

I have a pair of fire shrimp in my 90g and I was going to introduce two peppermint shrimp, but I am finding conflicting opinions about their compatibility. Is this more than a crapshoot?

Thoughts and experiences?

MMreef

In my first tank, 120 gal. I had an established fire shrimp. It would kill any other shrimp i tried to add, including cleaner and peppermint.

Twitch

Ive seen it both ways. My buddy had a pair of small fires and a pair of bigger peps and they live happily but another friend has one that kills anything he puts in.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Last week i put two peppermints in my 75 in the opposite corner of where my blood shrimp lives. I did see one still alive yesterday. Not sure about the other one yet.

Twitch

I hate to put livestock in a place where it could be killed but they are pep shrimp after all. Id say go for it as there is no shortage of them in captivity and the wild. Worst case is it will be a expensive lunch. I know a few places that sell em for $5 or under so for $10 id give it a shot. if it is a bigger tank the success rate will be higher than say a 29g BC....

100LL

I hate to put livestock in a place where it could be killed but they are pep shrimp after all. Id say go for it as there is no shortage of them in captivity and the wild. Worst case is it will be a expensive lunch. I know a few places that sell em for $5 or under so for $10 id give it a shot. if it is a bigger tank the success rate will be higher than say a 29g BC....
Yeah, thx, I'm certainly not concerned by the cost, more curious about what the local reefer experience was as my research seemed to show a split (same as I'm seeing posted in this thread).

roilciuc

I currently have a pair of fire shrimp that I had established in the tank for almost a year. About two months ago I added 3 or 4 peppermint shrimp but only one was left after a few days. I found another living in the filter chambers of my nano, and put it in the tank. They are now paired up and live in a different section of the tank. The peppermints and fires never fight. I assume the other shrimp died from an attack from my bicolor dottyback or the filter. My tank is a 35 nano so they have a high chance of bumping into each other. Hope it helps.

7Hogwarts

Premium member
I have a fire shrimp and several peps. no problem. I also have a coral banded in the tank. However, it stays at the opposite end of a 125g.