Petco with the best saltwater department?

moomoofish

Hi everybody. Do you guys know of any petco in the Chicagoland that has an impressive saltwater department?

EyeReef

Ive been to a petco in another state (CA) that had a really impressive setup. They propagate and sell sps out of their system. But havent seen any here as of yet

ColaAddict

Or LiveAquaria.com they have great customer service and will actually give your money back if your livestock dies in within 2 weeks. Don't trust other websites, I've been duped before, especially aquacon.com (more like aqua con artists).

Scarlett778

Why are you looking specifically at Petco? I actually noticed that the Petco on Halsted has cleaned up their saltwater quite a bit, but still nothing I would put in my tank without a good 2 months in QT.
I do have to say, I purchased a Foxface there out of pity. And he's a survivor after the horrible living condition there and few weeks in a 10 gallon QT lol

I probably added to the problem, but I couldn't help it. I don't think I'll purchase anything else there. It just looked down right cruel in there.

Scarlett778

Mmmmm I think it was about a year ago, maybe less?

Hey thanks dood, glad that you like our little live nest! The place is getting tight too fast lol. Can't wait to meet ya on Saturday. :)

ColorMeCorals

There are Plenty of good stores. However you are correct on your statements about the two mentioned.
Or LiveAquaria.com they have great customer service and will actually give your money back if your livestock dies in within 2 weeks. Don't trust other websites, I've been duped before, especially aquacon.com (more like aqua con artists).

TherioReef

I was at MCF and stopped at the PETCO a block away, I asked them if they had a store that had more SW items and was refered to their store at 160 S Mannheim Rd, Hillside, IL(708) 493-2237. Right now they have $1 gallon tanks. Looking to pick up a 40G Breeder for just $40.

SkullV

The PetCo on Halsted/Clark usually has some decent fish in stock but they are always in need of hospital tank attention.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I was at MCF and stopped at the PETCO a block away, I asked them if they had a store that had more SW items and was refered to their store at 160 S Mannheim Rd, Hillside, IL(708) 493-2237. Right now they have $1 gallon tanks. Looking to pick up a 40G Breeder for just $40.
I drive by this store on my way to work. I'll stop by the next chance I get and let everyone know what I find. :)

saltymike

I don't think that it's really the stores that suck but the lack of knowledge that employees have about the hobby. I was actually on petco.com last week and realized that they have a huge selection of saltwater fish available for pretty decent prices. I just wonder who supplies them. Shipping was pretty reasonable also. It was only $30 to ship and free if you spend over $200. I didn't order anything but I am curious.

gig

I'd also guess that most petco's are wiling to invest in the equipment, supplies and knowledge it takes to carry corals, particularly lps or sps. Even if they hire a person to manage reef stuff, they likely wouldnt have the budget for the right equipment. Just a guess.

Cubbies

The one in South Elgin used to be good before Chad left. He had tanks of his own at home and dedicated alot of attention to the ones in the store. Ever since he left it went downhill.I agree with employees not having enough knowledge. They've been looking for someone for that department with experience but who knows how much they pay. I wouldn't want to work there for $9 an hour!

saltymike

I know the one in North Riverside had a nice frag tank going with 8 t5's over it but I haven't been there in awhile.

Fish_wiz2

Believe it or not but the Petco on Harlem and Forest Perserve (across from the HIP) has a decent selection of corals, inverts, and fish. I bought a few fish and inverts from there with no problems (knock on wood). I guess its because the place is relatively newer with new equipment compared to when they were still at Harlem and Lawrence. Wiz.

trackfast

Princess Trainer

I was finally able to stop by the Hillside store. Save your time and $, this place ain't much to look at. Dry goods were expensive but you would expect that. There was a clearance on Biocube 14s for $185 + tax. (Not much of a clearance price really.) 21 SW tanks if I counted correctly;nine - 10G tanks and six - 15G tanks. The corals were under a single white bulb; although it could have been a 50/50. A fair amount of cyano and algae in the tanks. Single pieces of LR were going for $12 to $20. No one in the fish dept to talk to so I'm guessing you just get whatever sales associate that happens to walk by. One fish was stuck up against the overflow and a few of them looked a little thin.