pH is always 8.0...

xtlosx

Hey all, I'm running a fuge on an alternate light cycle than my DT and my pH never gets above 8.0... I have been dosing Seachem eight point four for the last couple of days and still pH is not rising....

I realize that the house might have excess CO2 which is causing the pH to behave this way and have already read that people say to open the windows... This might work in the spring\summer but not over the winter...

Is this what I should be expecting, or what else could I do to raise the pH naturally?

edit: I just tested it with lights off for 2 hrs, and it's 8.2....

Touzi

Hey all, I'm running a fuge on an alternate light cycle than my DT and my pH never gets above 8.0... I have been dosing Seachem eight point four for the last couple of days and still pH is not rising....

I realize that the house might have excess CO2 which is causing the pH to behave this way and have already read that people say to open the windows... This might work in the spring\summer but not over the winter...

Is this what I should be expecting, or what else could I do to raise the pH naturally?

edit: I just tested it with lights off for 2 hrs, and it's 8.2....
whats ur alk at, if ur alk is low it wont be able to buffer ur ph higher then 8.0 i bet ur alk is low, check it and get it around 10 to 12dkh and u should be fine and it should go up to 8.3

Tank2379

One thing about PH,---------->it's just a number that shouldn't be chased.
I agree I been running my tank anywhere from 7.8 to 8.0 and it never been and higher than that my corals always looked colorful and happy

Smitty

Premium member
I would leave it alone...8.0 is an ideal level. The thing about our tanks that make them successful is stability, and if your ph is stable, don't mess with it. :)

xtlosx

Yea, I am actually thinking the API test kit I am using is inaccurate.... It seems to be higher at night, but would think it should be the opposite, if not stable because of how I run my fuge?

I'll be picking up a RKL today\tomorrow with a pH probe, so I'll get a better idea then :)

Thanks everyone.

MMreef

8.0 is perfect,don't worry about it.My SPS tank is 7.8-8.0 and everything grows and looks great.If you want you can run an air hose from your skimmer through a window or a wall to the outside,it will get your PH a little higher.

jcarlilesiu

Most people don't realize how much PH swings from day to night. Not to mention the range. Here is a graph of my PH over the last 7 days.

It ranges from less than 7.8 at night up to more than 8.2 during the day.

You can also see our recent water change and when that refreshed the PH (and alk) up slightly.

Alistar

Nice Graph! :) My pH has been a lil' low too, but everything looks great... and the alk is at least in a good range as well

Greg

I used to have a ph problem in my tank.
The ph would slowly drop to 7.7 and below. Even with alk stable.
I never had luck with the seachem aquavitro 8.4 liquid. I would dose tons of it and it would do nothing. Wasted money going through bottles.
I switched over to the seachem reef buffer 8.3 powder and it worked alot better and lasted longer. Was annoying because you had to mix it in a cup of ro water but it worked.
I got annoyed dosing so i ran my skimmer airline through a hole i made in the wall. It was better but not stable.
I then bought a reef octopus kalk stirrer ks-100.
Using seachem kalk powder, i am able to keep my ph between 8.3-8.4 stable all day with no dosing. The kalk also replenishes calcium so i dont have to dose ca as much. It also helps with alk a little. I am very happy with the stirrer. I would recommend a stirrer over a reactor anyday.
Its been 8months since i bought the stirrer and my tank has a much more stable ph at 8.3-8.4, calcium at 430-440, and alk at 8.5-9dkh.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
but would think it should be the opposite, if not stable because of how I run my fuge?

I'll be picking up a RKL today\tomorrow with a pH probe, so I'll get a better idea then :).
Also, running your fuge on an opposite light cycle might help to decrease the swings but it will never make the ph "stable", or even close to stable.

You're on the right track w/ the probe and will be happy with it :)