PH....Whats to considered a swing

jayjerk

Premium member
Was just curious on a floor and selling of ph. I do remember reading some time ago levels should be in the range on 7.8 to 8.2.. those who use calcium reactors to my understanding have border line low ph. Is this accurate?

I have ph reading of 8.31 to as low as 7.9 at times When skimmer is off for a significant amount of time....how much is too much of a swing.

what are some of the ways to determine why your ph maybe low or high.

Thanks for the input

ColaAddict

Mag/alk/cal/oxygen in house can all affect pH. I never check my pH, I just check mag level once a month, and cal/alk once a week. If the 3 major elements are within normal levels, and my house is well ventilated, I know my pH should be okay.
Calcium reactor users need to monitor pH inside the reactor to properly dissolve the media. They lower pH by infusing CO2 into reactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimatemj

PH swings with the daily photosynthesis swing is normal. But a calcium reactor can make that more complicated...as the amount of effluent (and where it is added) can significantly lower PH.
Things that lead to low PH in the DT are:

Too high of an effluent flow.

Too high a C02 bubble rate.

Lack of aeration, or aeration with CO2 laden indoor air​

The last one (aeration/degas) can be helped by having the effluent enter near your skimmer intake.

View attachment 9140

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/