Phos Ban Question

Chipster67

I have been fighting some GHA for what seems like years lol
So I decided to re attach my little fishes Phos Ban reactor. I currently have the Seachem PhosGuard running and moving the media at a good flow where the media is lifting up and turning over rapidly.
I decided due to talk of aluminum in the brand. That I would buy some Phos Ban GFO from two little fishes. I was watching a video of it online and noticed the person only had it moving just enough to make the top layer bubble up move ever so slightly. Where mine is high flow moving alot. So before I swap out. I wanted to find out should I go slow and low or go high on the GFO?

Really hoping this gets rid of GHA as this has been a pain.

Thanks for any tips

Chip

MMreef

You want slow flow through the gfo, just enough to slowly tumble top layer, if you have high flow, gfo will grind itself to dust.

100LL

Low and slow for strait GFO, but media should be visibly moving. Running high flow will grind it up and release the fines (dust) into your water. Too slow and it will clump and solidify. I also understand that running higher flow does not improve the effectiveness. IME, GFO will help with GHA but resist the temptation to over do it... Use the recommended amount OR LESS...

Chipster67

Well low and slow it is.. Now to sit back and watch the magic.. Also going to check some shops to get a sea hare snail..

Chipster67

Well picked up a sea hare, not really chowing down on the GHA yet. So decided to pull as much as possible out while leaving a bit there for the slug.
Since PO4 was low due to GHA have not gotten a good reading will try today and see what it is at now.