Phosphate reading

Wildisme

So I tested my water today for phosphate as I am getting a lot of light brown algae over everything. The reading came out less than 0.25. Am I correct in the thought that it's actually much higher and that the amount of algae is throwing off the reading?

Added some phoszorb for now to see if it helps. I also have redsea NO3:pO4-X but haven't used it. Am I better off dosing the liquid over the phoszorb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulip

Yes. You can test one of 4(?) variants that is in the water column. Great article for boning up on the subject: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/ .

Phoszorb is aluminum based which could irritate corals. NOPOX4 is lanthium choride which is very aggressive and can produce a toxic cloud that suffocates fish. Use carefully.

What's wrong with consecutive water changes and GFO? There's no hurry in lowering phosphates. Additionally, vaccum the sand. After a few days, also turn up the flow a notch for a few days (for the algae die off).

Last edited:

Wildisme

Never had luck with GFO without a reactor. Don't really want to run an additional reactor.

Paulip

Never had luck with GFO without a reactor. Don't really want to run an additional reactor.

Well then, Don't let the caveats stop you. Any and every product has one. You mentioned proven products with many satisfied users.

As alternatives, you have the well regarded aluminum based product from Seachem called Phosguard. And the guy at the at Melev's reef uses another Lanthium based product called Phosphate Rx as his permanent/long term solution. A first. But please, catch that precipitate in a 5 micron sock.

Last edited:

wrasse

you may have a build up of organics/ waste in your tank. Try using a turkey baster to blow on your rocks and see if you can free up the organics. Have a micron sock like Paulip says to catch waste in your sump. Also use a gravel vacuum to collect the freed up waste. You can even vacuum the rock if you find some spots that are giving off a lot of waste. You can vacuum right into the a filter sock so you don't even have to change the water. The vacuum will act like part of your overflow if it the water goes back into your system and the filter sock collects the waste. Try it several times every other day. Be careful with your euphyllia you don't want to vacuum them and be careful with the extra flow. I had a similar problem and I did all this and it helped.

Last edited: