Phosphates in sand

I have been fighting algae for over a year and now I realized I have phosphates in my sand. I took a little rock out and a little sand and put it in a cup with fresh saltwater. I tested after a week and the cup with sand in it tested .19 for phosphates. So my question is will sand always have phosphates in it or should I remove all my sand. If I do choose to remove all my sand (1-2.5in) should I do it very slow or all at once. I have tried everything else to beat algae so this is my next step.

madjoe

Premium member
huh what kind of sand? old? thats weird my sand is 9yrs old and no issues. that sucks definitly remove slow if u do remove or u gonna release at that into tank. or set up diff tank and move every thing to it . and pull out all at once

mlreef

I think eventually that all of it will leach out, I would just do water changes and run a gfo.

mlreef

hmmmm, if you're doing that already then I would start removing a couple pounds a week from your tank until most of it is gone. I would then replace with non phosphate leaching sand if your looking not to go bare bottom.

I would just vacuum it out with a 5/8" hose or 3/4" if you have one, try and get the most sand that you can out each time during your water changes.

Maybe I can try to rinse the cup of sand then let it sit another week and test again and see if there are still phosphates

I can also just try to vacume the sand better with a gravel cleaner during water changes. I usually do all my water changes out of my sump in the crawl space.

thinkfuture

I stir up sand, blow rocks with a baster and vacuum every water change.
I think you are extreme. The OP is asking an opinion from a normal person. :)

Vacuum the sand only if there is algae (cyano) issues.

Back to Richard's tank, his sand is always so clean, he rushes to clean the sand every time the fish poops.

misenplace101

I think you are extreme. The OP is asking an opinion from a normal person. :)

Vacuum the sand only if there is algae (cyano) issues.

Back to Richard's tank, his sand is always so clean, he rushes to clean the sand every time the fish poops.
Lol....I am normal in my little world :). Not only I clean the sand I wipe their butts too. If they make diapers for fish I would be getting it. Hahahah.

mlreef

I've seen people use a large 1 micron filter sock to catch the sand an dirty particulate out of the water while they are vacuuming the sand into a bucket and at the same time they have a pump returning the polished water if you will back into the tank.

I tried this a while ago and it works well, but it is a 2 person job. One vacuuming and the other monitoring the water height and pump position.

Overall it's a great way to eliminate the sand while still preserving your water while polishing your water at the same time.

Hope this helps!

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Do you have any critters that turn your sb over? Like nassarius snails or a sandsifting star? My yellow coris wrasse likes to burrow in the sand and look for bristle worms.