-Plates-

ultimatemj

There's been some threads recently talking about plates, but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to them with pics :)

This strawberry plate is my only plate, and is supper hot under the blues, but is difficult to take a representative picture of it .

Here's what I got...

How about y'all? Any hot plates out there?

Love to see them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rcunning8

Premium member
Omg these are somthing special very very nice!! I picked this one up today!!

SkullV

Check out BSA corals on Facebook. His online store doesn't always have the crazy stuff he posts on Facebook. Its a local kid out here in Arizona but he's getting a pretty big following on R2R. Insane plate corals and other LPS.

Paulip

Anybody fragging? I hear they are slow growers and can grow unevenly. ie a new round plate over a quarter slice.

I guess you would still see a round plate after it is grown out.

Check out BSA corals on Facebook. His online store doesn't always have the crazy stuff he posts on Facebook. Its a local kid out here in Arizona but he's getting a pretty big following on R2R. Insane plate corals and other LPS.

Ben is so expensive though. I would buy more from BSA if it were a tad more affordable. I've asked him to quote me many times and he's at the upper range when it comes to prices. Awesome stuff though. Top Shelf Aquatics gets really good stuff too and more affordable.

Last edited:
You would need a dremel and cut the skeleton from the bottom. From what I've read, yes, survival rate is abysmal. With that said no I would not cut a $400 plate.

SkullV

Ben is so expensive though. I would buy more from BSA if it were a tad more affordable. I've asked him to quote me many times and he's at the upper range when it comes to prices. Awesome stuff though. Top Shelf Aquatics gets really good stuff too and more affordable.

Yeah he is, I don't have any of his stuff and the LPS is all relatively easy to get around here (several LFS owners make weekly trips to the wholesalers in LA) but he seems to sell OK online.

Rcunning8

Premium member
That's sweet! Nice grab. Where'd you get it?

I got it at underwaterworld!! I feel like the only good corals I have seen from them there are plates. I saw yours the other night and man that thing is a beauty when will it get here I can't wait to see it in your tank. I also read that you are keeping your old one in there with hopes that it might have baby plates, def don't give up on that I have heard them doing the same thing years after they appeared dead, prob an eye sore right now but it will be totally worth it if you can bring that thing back to life through its offspring!!

I have a question, right now the body is green and the lines are purple in my plate. I was wondering if you had any experience with plates changing colors with age in particular do the colors get more pronounced or vibrant with time in some plates?

I got it at underwaterworld!! I feel like the only good corals I have seen from them there are plates. I saw yours the other night and man that thing is a beauty when will it get here I can't wait to see it in your tank. I also read that you are keeping your old one in there with hopes that it might have baby plates, def don't give up on that I have heard them doing the same thing years after they appeared dead, prob an eye sore right now but it will be totally worth it if you can bring that thing back to life through its offspring!!

I have a question, right now the body is green and the lines are purple in my plate. I was wondering if you had any experience with plates changing colors with age in particular do the colors get more pronounced or vibrant with time in some plates?
plate got in this morning and it's pretty small! it's still acclimating so i haven't placed it into the tank yet but it looks exactly like it does in the pics just small

yea i keep reading the same thing - even if it looks dead it can sprout babies a year or more after it seems dead...right now it really looks dead, there's absolutely nothing growing on it except some algae so i don't know but i guess i've kept it this long (still less than a year) i may as well keep on waiting and hoping

i honestly don't have much experience with plates at all...i've only had the one that died and now this new one so i don't know if their colors morph but i'm assuming like any other coral, the colors can change depending on lighting and water chemistry...when i spoke to Brett about this plate he said the orange and yellows were getting brighter and brighter every day