PLease watch and share !! Helloooooooo

Nanologist

Ha! I just found and watched this last night after finishing another Breaking Bad marathon. I learned a lot and was shocked at the condition of our reefs...

It's up to us to save them!

bulldog0407

Premium member
I watched it as well and found it to be very informative and a bit sad. The most interesting thing I thought was that they mention that in all of their testing in the labs, mass bleaching only occurred when water temperatures changed. I find it interesting that they stated that was the only variable. Over the years I have seen and read multiple threads on bleaching. Chemistry changes, salinity swing, lighting and temperature swings have all been recorded as causes in the hobby.

Nanologist

I find it interesting that they stated that was the only variable. Over the years I have seen and read multiple threads on bleaching. Chemistry changes, salinity swing, lighting and temperature swings have all been recorded as causes in the hobby.
I assume it's because these are all generally constants in the ocean and that the temperature is the only one changing drastically. Eventually, when enough ice caps melt then the salinity and chemistry of the water may start to have a larger impact as well. I can't imagine the light changing much unless we completely destroy our atmosphere...

jrpark22000

Premium member
I don't discount it's sad to see change. The reef will live on, even with mass change. It already has... It just may not be in our lifetime.

https://www.livescience.com/6290-great-barrier-reef.html
How the reef formed

The Great Barrier Reef is about 500,000 years old, but it hasn't always looked as it does today. Reefs on Australia's continental shelf have taken on many forms, depending on the sea level, and the current formation is about 6,000 to 8,000 years old.

According to the Australian Institute of Marine Science and other scientific research, the current reef began to form during the Last Glacial Maximum. This period, which occurred from about 26,500 years ago to 19,000 to 20,000 years ago, ushered in significant environmental changes in the region, including a dramatic drop in sea levels.

The land that forms the base of the Great Barrier Reef is the remains of the sediments of the Great Dividing Range, Australia's largest mountain range. About 13,000 years ago, the sea level was 200 feet (61 meters) lower than the current level, and corals began to grow around the hills of the coastal plain, which had become continental islands. The sea level continued to rise during a warming period as glaciers melted. Most of the continental islands were submerged, and the coral remained to form the reefs and cays (low-elevation sandy islands) of today.

kerber13