Pod's for my Scooter Blenny

Chipster67

So a few weeks ago, my wife and I picked up a Scooter Blenny. The wife thought it looked so cute..
Since that time, I've been obsessed with keeping this thing alive. the day we got it, I read online they eat Pods and are basically a dragonet of sorts. So I ordered and received a bag of pods from reefcleaners... I the next week, I read and found out that the AlgaGen ReefPods Tisbe was touted as being a good choice. So I purchased a 16oz bottle of that.
Since that time I've seen the Blenny picking at rocks, but never truly sure he's eating, so Monday I ordered two Amphipods & Copepods - 250pks from reefs2go as I heard good things about them.

So today I dropped in both packs of those, and yes there was a lot of activity from the Amphipods that were crawling all over the filter padding they shipped them in.

My question is, is there a way to really tell how many or even if you have copepods, as I doubt that the blenny will eat the amphipods. I know everyone shows them as white specks on glass, but I really don't see that on mine, some white floating around tank, but not sure if it's pods or just gunk.. LOL

Also would you guys recommend that every couple weeks I buy some more pods? Not sure if I'll need/want more amphipods right away, but was thinking of buying a couple more bottles of Algagen Pods.

Any advise you can offer to help build and know when your pod community s built up. Also I did drop one of the 250 bags in my refugium which is a HOB refugium, and the other bad went direct in to tank this evening when fish were looking the other way LOL

Thanks
Chip

Venom

Premium member
Try feeding scooter frozen nutramar ova my spotted mandarin loves it that way your pod population increases might take some time with the 16 oz bottles maybe a couple months they are a cool fish gl

Chipster67

OK I'll have to buy some of that.. where is a good lfs to buy from that has this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pufferpunk

They eat their weight daily, in pods. Unless you have a 90g tank with a healthy, large, long-established refugium to support that many pods or can get them on some other foods, you'd do best for him by returning the fish. I've always been lucky to get mine eating live blackworms, soaked in Selcon/Vita-Chem & gut-loaded with fish foods.

Joe5688

How old is your tank? I currently have a mandarin, 3 wrasses and a Anthias that I see constantly picking pods out of my tank and at night I can tell u that my rocks are still covered in pods. Depends on how established your tank is. If I see him getting skinny then think about maybe pif'ing him to a reefer until your tank is more established.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

small hang on refugiums with a crushed coral bed of 2" with some small pieces of coral rumble and macro algae . Dose that with all your pods and they will thrive better in slow water flow habitat

CoralN00b

I was in a LFS almost a year ago and seen this product and was told it was the new thing. The owner of the store told me they use it to feed mandarins. I was surprised by that statement and watched the product online and checked tons of reviews over a year. During this time, I was waiting for my tank to be established before I made the adoption of a mandarin.

I read about so many people feeding their mandarins and blennys and Anthias with it. I finally decided to try it. I have had my mandarin for almost 6 months now. Very happy and healthy fish. I squirt this in the tank each day and he goes at it. Corals love it too.

One of my LFS just stocked up on it too because they had so many people asking for it and their testing of it went well too.

http://www.aquatechco.com/AZOX.php

I am going to look into the Ova food that venom suggested. I am always looking to mix it up for my fish and my tank is too small to sustain pods.