Poidog's 70g Tech Tank Build

poidog

Most of you know, I am finally taking the plunge and upgrading from my nano. I've had the itch to upgrade for a while, but with the house for sale, I didn't want to have to break down a new tank if it sold. Well.... the house has been on the market for a year now, and under the realization that nothing is moving in this market, it's not gonna sell anytime soon. So I told the hubby if you want me to make it through this winter and stay sane I need to upgrade to keep me busy! haha

I picked up Carrie's Oceanic 70g Tech tank and stand, she bought it new and only had it up and running for a year. I cleaned it up with vinegar and water and it looks good as new. I wanted an oceanic tech because of the design and starphire glass, but they were discontinued, so I was lucky to find one in the size I wanted that was in almost new condition.

The tech stand is a bit disappointing, but doable. I like the style, but for some reason the back supports and back panel are made out of MDF, so there is some minor swelling from water damage. The top, front supports, and bottom are solid so those are fine. I'm going to cut 2 pieces of 2x4 and wedge them in vertically at the back (inside the cabinet) to help the rear supports if the MDF becomes unstable. I'm also going to get water sealant spray paint and seal any open cracks/seams. Doing this will clear any stability issues away that I have.

(please don't mind the dog "doing her thang")

I'm going to piece together my equipment have the tank up and running when summer ends (so if there are any heat issues, I don't have to deal with them this year). I have some of it already that I can reuse off my nano.

The plan is to be SPS mid/upper dominated. Maxima clams and LPS at bottom.

Planned equipment list:
- Oceanic 70g Tech 36x18x24, top opening is only 30x12 due to the eurobracing
- Tech stand
- Precision Marine 24" sump/refugium
- Super Space Saver Octopus XP-1000SSS Cone Skimmer
- Sicce 3.0 return pump
- Jager heaters
- Vortech MP40
- Vortech MP10
- Vortech Batter backup
- DA Reefkeeper Lite
- Giesemann 24" 1x250w MH 4x24w T5

I ordered the sump/plumbing/ and return pump from PA today, and will have tomorrow. I plan on plumbing it up this weekend, so I'll post pics of that when it's done.

Spoofer

I own a 120 Tech and I love it, but i did take the advice of many tech owners and put a in-print liner of pvc (shower liner) in the stand to protect the wood from little splash and accidents.

Good luck

poidog

I own a 120 Tech and I love it, but i did take the advice of many tech owners and put a in-print liner of pvc (shower liner) in the stand to protect the wood from little splash and accidents.

Good luck
Good idea. I was thinking of that thick vinyl that you line kitchen drawers with but I don't think that stuff is wide enough.

Did you just get a thick shower liner and cut to size or cover the back with it?

poidog

Here are some of the "big" goodies that came in today

Tropic Eden live sand and Reef Flakes. One of of the live sand containers busted open during shipment. I'll be contacting PA for a replacement tomorrow. There is also a macro shot of the Reef Flakes to show their size. I would have liked to see the Mini-Reef Flakes too (as they are 2mm, regular is 3.5mm), but these will do nicely.

Here is the Reef Octopus XP-1000SSS and the Vortech MP40 that will compainion my MP10 on this tank. The skimmer just barely fit in my sump. Its tight getting the bigger base through the space where it fits, but once it's in it doesn't touch anything but the bottom.

4 more boxes tomorrow of other supplies and 100 lbs of BSR Fiji dry rock.

poidog

Look what the UPS fairy left me today!

The Giesemann came in early and is a beautiful light fixture. They could have packed it better though. The ballast was rubbing up against the fixture as it wasn't wrapped in anything, just in packing peanuts. It rubbed a bit off the paint of an edge, but nothing major or noticeable unless I point it out. Bulbs came with it unscathed. The quality and feel of the light is top notch. I'll see how it goes when I plug it in and test it tomorrow.

I also got 50lbs of the 100lbs I ordered of BRS fiji dry rock (the other box was delayed). Very nice rock and good sizes. So far very impressed.

I also got the BSR carbon reactor along with some other misc supplies and plumbing.

I am going to finish plumbing the tank, leak test it, and hang the light. I can't aquascape and fill it up with salt water this weekend since all the rock didn't come in... **** UPS.

Pufferpunk

I've got that light--very nice. Nothing live about sand in a bag though.

I would have never noticed the dog, if you hadn't mentioned it.

poidog

Alright, I NEED YOUR HELP/SUGGESTIONS on where to place the tank in the house. I want to get this figured out and done on Saturday.

Option 1:
Place the tank in the living room, where the nano currently is. Below are photos showing the layout of the living room. TV is mounted on the wall opposite the tank (on the left). I taped out the foot print, and on the wall taped the hight of the tank and then above that were the light would hang.
Pros: Makes a beautiful main focus of the room, easily viewable all the time.
Cons: possible noise from tank where TV watching, entertaining, etc. Possible light bleed while sitting on the furniture and looking up, can't watch TV in a dark room while light is on. Will be tight in the corner w/ the furniture.

Option 2:
Leave it where it currently is in the sunroom, just off the living room. There is furniture in there to view the tank, but will not be in the primary sitting room. (I can also angle it here in the corner if that would look better)
Pros: isolate the noise in one room, can make a very pretty/relaxing reading/chill room.
Cons: not in the primary living room, so you can't glance over at it and watching it when company is over, sitting talking, etc Having to find something to fill in the space when the nano is taken down (like a tree or something)

ColaAddict

I vote for Option 2, I own a Reef Octopus Extreme and I sometimes have to shut it down when I'm watching a show that I have to really listen to (ie. American Idol :) ). so I would keep it away from the TV.
Why don't you make the big tank an SPS dominate tank and the nano something else, like a softie tank?

poidog

cause softies suck. haha :lol:

I was thinking a sea horse tank, but I think the deal was with getting the new tank, that I would only have 1, so the big one or the small one. Plus I was hoping on the $ from the nano sale to offset some of the costs for the new tank.

pacmann117

Option 2: Tank noises tend to drive non-hobbyists crazy :) I think the clearance b/w the furniture and the tank may be problematic, and having setup a tech tank in someones living room, I can tell you that stand absorbs none of the sound from the tank.

ColaAddict

+1 again on the noise. My next tank build will have the sump plumbed from the basement, so I don't have to worry about the noise.

poidog

Ok, thanks guys. Should I leave it as is, flush against the wall, in the sun room or should I angle it diagonally in the corner? Angling it will make the front pane parallel to the furniture in there.

poidog

Okay, I think we came up a compromise. We're going to move the black leather sofa in the sun room (we've been meaning to get rid of it anyway), and put the tank up against that wall. That way it can be out of the living room, but still viewable from it. Then we're going to get two chairs and put them across from the tank and make it a reading/chill room.

How does that sound?

The reefer

It looks great either way but I have my tank in my living room and with a ceiling fan or the tv on u can barely notice it. If it's a lil bit loud all u have to do is raise ur volume a few more numbers and ull b ok. That's room is never really quiet anyways. I would rather have the reading room quiet that way u can focus on what ur reading. But still Eric ur build is going great and can't wait to see pics whenits done.

poidog

I remember the one thing I hate about this hobby.... aquascaping.

So the rest of my BSR Fiji rock came in today... Got a total of 110 lbs, ended up using 80 lbs in the tank. It took me from 6pm to 12am to come up with this last scape, which is about the 5th reincarnation of it. I tried to make as many spots for SPS with overhangs and caves. Please give me your suggestions/critisms. I want this to be the best it can be, because once I put the sand in and fill it up, I'm not moving rocks again!

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics