possible gfo issue

jfuka78

I noticed my sps looking like crap. I gave noticed more algae, I am over due for a membrane. I added gfo and carbon reactor in the past couple weeks and now noticed my sps bleaching. Will the sps come back after it gets use to the lower to no phosphates? Is there something else I can do or just hang in for the ride?

SkullV

Did you run the gfo reactor into a bucket when you added new GFO (to remove dust)? How much did you add at first? The dust can be extremely irritating to coral and any suddon change from using a lot of GFO affects coral negatively.

SkullV

Might be the issue. I would skim a bit wetter and try and get all the dust out. Next time you change the gfo make sure to run the output hose into a bucket or something for up to a minute to ensure that all of the dust leaves the tank. Also make sure you only have a slow surface tumble and not a lot of churning because that will break up the GFO into dust as well.

SkullV

Nothing GOOD happens fast in this hobby. I'm not sure about coral recovery times from GFO Issues/Rapid Phosphate Stripping.

MMreef

The GFO dust might irritate corals but not cause them to bleach. Most likely what happened after adding GFO and Carbon your phosphates went down to fast and carbon cleared your water so much, that all of a sudden your SPS were getting more light and got a light shock.Lower your light period for few weeks and see how they respond.It usually takes few weeks for them to get back.As SkullV said in a post above it is a good practice to run your reactor output to a bucket until it runs clear.

jfuka78

Well, not sure what is happening. Threw four corals out today.
Phosphates 0
Amonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Alk 8
Cal 400

Lps look like crap if not dead or barely hanging on. Sps is some look great others not so. Softies are basically gone now.

I am stumped, new ro filters today. They were over due. Going to do a 15 gallon change 4 days this week in case some bad got in to the water.

jfuka78

Thinking that maybe I need to feed more for corals now.

Could I have stripped all my nutrient out of the water?

I realized also during this time I was only feeding flake food.
I am starting to feed more mysis and rods now.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Adding gfo wouldn't "strip" out your nutrients since the coral don't feed on phosphates, nor would carbon.