Potters Angelfish Died!

jm23

Well I noticed yesterday that my male potters angelfish was breathing a little heavy, but all the other fish were breathing normally. Well today he was belly up! I bought the pair from reefwise a month or two back and they have been doing great and eating like pigs. The male's stomach seems bloated, which I thought was just a full belly, but now think it was some IP. I thought reefwise quarantined for all that, but I guess lesson learned and I should still quarantine for IP along with Ich. I am pretty upset as that pair was not cheap at all. Any ideas besides IP that would cause stomach bloating? Also can the other fish get IP from the dead potters?

SkullV

I would just treat with Prazi if you are worried about IP. It's reef safe and super easy for fish to handle. I also had a fish bloat up once, start breathing heavily, and stop eating for about 6 days because it ate a piece of food that was too big and apparently constipated it. It did pass the piece after the 6 days but that was a clownfish so super hardy.

jm23

I would just treat with Prazi if you are worried about IP. It's reef safe and super easy for fish to handle. I also had a fish bloat up once, start breathing heavily, and stop eating for about 6 days because it ate a piece of food that was too big and apparently constipated it. It did pass the piece after the 6 days but that was a clownfish so super hardy.
Who knows, it could have been a piece of food, but I don't think that was it. Last time I tried Prazi it didn't work out so well, so I might just wait and see. All the other fish look the healthiest they have ever been, but then again so did the Potters two days ago.

Jon sorry to hear , potters are very beautiful fish .
Yeah, I was so excited to have a bonded pair, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Bummer, I'd :puke1:
Yeah, it is days like today that make me want to quit the hobby. I put so much time, effort, and money into it and still have fish and coral die. I probably should stick with the hardier fish and corals, but I just can't resist.

Green0j0s

Damn.... sorry to hear that. The pair looked awesome when I saw them back in the stock tank you had them in.

I thought Reefwise only ran Hypo in the QT tanks, am I wrong? Didn't know they dosed anything, if they do awesome! i just got a Flame Angel from them.

Blue corals

I spoke to a fellow reefer and he likes to buy his fish from reef wise because of his quarantine system, however his last 4 fish he bought from there have died. All his other fish he had from before are doing great, maybe a freak thing but not really sure.

Reefwise

Premium Sponsor
I am sorry to hear that the potters died.

We do continuously run prazipro in the qt system as well as feed metro. Both of these medications should mitigate internal parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madjoe

Premium member
That sucks man i bought many pairs of different kinds of fish it always seems like one dies so u end up with one very expensive one . Also all the pairs ive seen shown on forums after few weeks u see them up date and say one died. Heck i bought a wrasse pair ine time dam female killed male go figure. And i know rw says the prazi and stuff but ive seen bunch wrasses with ip signs in their non qt system i even lost a flame from there to ip. Not saying they dont just saying i found out that its just safer to qt your self and treat with prazi even if u see no signs. I think lfs have hard time treating do to water volumn and fish volumn with so many fish coming and going its not easy to treat em all. Again just my 2 cents and sorry again for u lost

Triggerdood

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I think the key here is, regardless of where the fish is bought, personally qt'ing a fish on your own, is the best option. I would dose prazi if you are worried about ip's. You may have had a bad experience the first time around, but it is a great med. Gl.

gg1111

+1 on constepation . My clown blew up breathing heavy was going limp and finaly pooped it .added a ton of Epsom salt , it might of helped. Maybe the change diet?