Powerheads - Which Brand?

Rallos

Trying to figure out which powerheads I want to use for my 220 (72 x 24 x 30) FOWLR build.

I am going to have a Wavebox 6208 and then I am debating how to supplement.

I am thinking either 2 x MP40QD

or

2 x Tunze Turbelle Stream 6155

What do you guys think? I've never used Tunze powerheads before so I am not sure of the pros/cons to using them vs the MP40s.

goatous

Not what you are asking, but you might want to also consider two Maxspect Gyre XF250's with a single controller.
I have the earlier FX150 and it moves a ton of water and is quieter than the MP40. The XF150 and XF250 are the same powerhead but they have a new controller that can drive two powerheads (XF150 or XF250). They will leave no dead spots in the tank.

Rallos

So I would put one at each end basically?

Looked those up and it looks like I could buy one with the controller and then one without to put them together and I would save some $$$ too. I may go with this.

Last edited:

goatous

So I would put one at each end basically?
Yep, set them up on opposite end of the tank and they work against and with each other by using the single controller.

I have the earlier generation fx150 with the older controller, so I don't have first hand experience with the new controller but it looks pretty slick.

adam87

I own a Maxspect Gyre XF150 too, its in my 180. Its hook up to my apex, had it for almost 2yrs and had no problems with it so far.

ninjamyst

Premium member
make sure you buy the Gyre from a place with good return policy. My XF130 is whisper quiet. I changed to XF230 and it was soooo loud. Returned it immediately.

Rallos

Well, I bit the bullet and picked up two gyre xf250s from bulk reef with the 10% off deal. One with controller and one without. Will report back. I have a gyre xf130 on my 54 gallon so I have some idea of the noise level that it generates (nothing).