Premixed saltwater from LFS

PufferMan

Has anyone bought premixed saltwater from their LFS? I didn't even know that places sold that until I recently saw someone buying it. Does it usually end up being more expensive than mixing it yourself?

ColaAddict

I have bought once, when I had to make a partial water change and I didn't have time to mix saltwater at home.

poidog

only when i was a newb! I wised up when i saw crap floating in the "RO/DI" water from the store... bought my own unit the next day.

PufferMan

Thanks. Like I said, I didn't even know they sold that. I have always mixed myself, but figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with it. Figured that was just another way for them to get some extra $$$ out of people who don't want to mix it themselves.

FishBeard

I used to when all I had was a 14g nano and only needed like 2 gallons a week, it was worth it at the time since it cost barely more than a gallon of RO from the grocery and I didn't have to mix myself. Now with 3 tanks to take care of, it's totally paying itself off that I have a RO/DI unit and big buckets for mixing my own water every week. I think I figured it out that 5 months of water changes pays off the unit compared to buying water when I need it.

WeePee

imo the only time to use it is in case of emergency when you do not have any on hand and you need to either water change of quarantine ASAP.

mr_z

i get it from my lfs(aquatica) because i only do a 1 or 2 gallon water change on my 12gl jbj a week.