Project Valinor

yman182

So my tank is coming in in about 2-3 weeks, but my sump is still 2 months out. Has anyone setup a temporary sump using a brute trash can just to get the water flowing while they cycle the tank and then plum the real sump when it arrives?

anarchy

I haven't used a trash can but I've used other tanks with no issues

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Well, you clearly won the lottery, so I wouldn’t say you have any problems! Looking forward to seeing all up and running.

yman182

Making a little progress now.

I had a 60x30x7 inch stand made by alumifab for my water changing station. I also started some plumbing.

I picked up a cor-20 from marine depot when they had it for $279 earlier in the week. It will be used as the backup to my main pumps in case one fails.

The tank is still 2 weeks away and the sump is 2 months :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirk48

Looking good and very professional!
You should get the rocks wet in the meantime if you can, get them cycled. it will save you time down the road

yman182

Looking good and very professional!
You should get the rocks wet in the meantime if you can, get them cycled. it will save you time down the road
Thank you!

I’m working with the rock now trying to get an aquascape I like. My wife doesn’t want the mountain of rock look in the tank, so I’m trying something different.

I made a mock of my tank using wood so I can dry fit the rock. I went with life rock, but I think I bought way to much. What you see there is probably half of what I have.

yman182

While waiting for the tank and supplies to come in, gotta take the small wins.

water changing station complete.

yman182

The tank is local and I’m scheduling for delivery!

This is much bigger in person than I expected! Love it. It is built like a tank.

yman182

Tank was delivered! The ordeal to bring it down was something else!

The Stand came in 2 pieces otherwise it would not fit through the door

...still did not fit! We had to cut the drywall out in the stairwell to be able to maneuver the stand down.

After a few cuts, a removal of a stud the stands finally went down!

SUCCESSSS

Next comes the tank. It took 10 Guys to bring it downstairs. It must have weighed 600lbs.

I wont bore you with the video of it going down, but after it was down, it went on the stand! The tank is built....like a tank (pun intended)...

Next was attaching the wood skin. Also, boss...I mean wife for scale.

Tonight, my plan was to start on the rockscape. What are you guys thoughts? I have 4 Radion G5s, but I only put 2 on for the picture. I think I may need 5...

The stand has a few scuffs on it and the installers are coming back tomorrow to patch them up. The guys I worked with were great, would highly recommend them to anyone.

I have not glued anything down yet, so if you have any criticism or suggestions I am all ears!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Wow, what an ordeal! I assume you have a sump in a fish room? Great build.

My advice on that scape is to disconnect it into two or three pieces rather than one long wall. That way, you can angle the individual pieces from front to back giving a look of more depth. There’s no sense in having a nice wide tank and not showing it off! Make sure the top of your rock work slopes up from front to back for max coral placement.

yman182

Wow, what an ordeal! I assume you have a sump in a fish room? Great build.

My advice on that scape is to disconnect it into two or three pieces rather than one long wall. That way, you can angle the individual pieces from front to back giving a look of more depth. There’s no sense in having a nice wide tank and not showing it off! Make sure the top of your rock work slopes up from front to back for max coral placement.
Thanks for the scape advice!

The sump will be behind the wall that the tank is on. The sump has not yet arrived.

yman182

Working on my controller board mounting. Thoughts on the layout?

on the top shelf of the left one will be the dos for the AWC. On the right shelf I plan to put the trident and possibly the kaemor for the calcium reactor.

Mjl714

Tank was delivered! The ordeal to bring it down was something else!

The Stand came in 2 pieces otherwise it would not fit through the door

...still did not fit! We had to cut the drywall out in the stairwell to be able to maneuver the stand down.

After a few cuts, a removal of a stud the stands finally went down!

SUCCESSSS

Next comes the tank. It took 10 Guys to bring it downstairs. It must have weighed 600lbs.

I wont bore you with the video of it going down, but after it was down, it went on the stand! The tank is built....like a tank (pun intended)...

Next was attaching the wood skin. Also, boss...I mean wife for scale.

Tonight, my plan was to start on the rockscape. What are you guys thoughts? I have 4 Radion G5s, but I only put 2 on for the picture. I think I may need 5...

The stand has a few scuffs on it and the installers are coming back tomorrow to patch them up. The guys I worked with were great, would highly recommend them to anyone.

I have not glued anything down yet, so if you have any criticism or suggestions I am all ears!

Tank and stand look fantastic. Have you thought about how you’re going to deal with the added humidity a tank this size will generate?

yman182

Tank and stand look fantastic. Have you thought about how you’re going to deal with the added humidity a tank this size will generate?
I have thought about this. The basement currently has a large dehumidifier and also a backup dehumidifier just in case. Both are plumbed to a waste line so I don’t have to empty them. The basement itself is also air conditioned and heated.

Worst case scenario, I have already speced out an exhaust vent and possibly an air exchanger if it comes to it.

Mjl714

Making small progress as my tank quotes trickle in.

Added the BRS triple DI saver to my 5 stage drinking water system. My house has well water that I soften and remove iron from. TDS going into the RO filter is very high at around 800-900. Then leaving the RO membrane it’s down between 15-20. Leaving the DI resin it is 0. I figured I’d be going through a lot of DI resin and the 3 stage should help me save a little money.

800-900 TDS, ouuuch. I’m sure you’ve thought about this, but what is your well water TDS, before the softener and iron removal?

yman182

It is around the same since the softener just replaces hard ions with salt ions it’s almost a 1 for 1 exchange.