Protein Skimmer Help Question

1fishjones

Premium member
I came home tonight only to hear my grinding, buzzing SCA 301 skimmer. I immediately unplugged it, next is a vinegar bath and good cleaning. If that doesn't take care of the problem I'm wondering if it's okay to have the tank skimmer less for several hours after having one running 24 -7 for several months. It's been a long day and I'd really rather deal with it after a good nights sleep. It doesn't seem like it would be a problem but Somehow I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could be. I appreciate your help with this. I'm thinking the longest the tank would be without a skimmer is around 20hrs worst case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColaAddict

Sometimes I turn off skimmer for a few days. You might just have to deal with a little algae if turned off long enough. Fished sleep at night, no peeing or pooping, so a lot of people actually turn skimmer off at night.

#theMatrix

If your asking if it will shock your system. No. Not really.

Ive been skimerless for the past week. As its overflowing like no tomorow due to the use of chemiclean. I suppose some more water changes would help the chem get out of the system.

1fishjones

Premium member
Awesome news, thanks everyone! I'm going to sleep like a baby!
Goodnight!

1jwampler

Sometimes I turn off skimmer for a few days. You might just have to deal with a little algae if turned off long enough. Fished sleep at night, no peeing or pooping, so a lot of people actually turn skimmer off at night.
ColaAddict, I'm not sure, I would pick night to turn off my skimmer, the natural reduction in carbon dioxide occurs with photosynthesis during the daylight and the inverse is true at night. While the new bio-load may be less while the fish sleep, the ability for the system to convert nutrients and carbon dioxide is also put on hold at night. This is why your pH goes up during the day and down at night. The skimmer adds (hopefully oxygen - depending on your house - some people actually plumb skimmer air intake from outside) oxygen and helps to maintain pH. So if you were to turn your skimmer off, it would actually be best to do during the day just as your normal pH is rising to it's daily high.

This said, this is not meant to scare you fishbones, you, should be fine for a day or two without a skimmer, just keep an eye on how low your pH goes and be prepared to do a water change or add Kalk (I hate buffer, but, some would say add buffer) to keep your pH above 7.7. 7.7 is not the end of the world if its a nightly low, but, I don't think you would want to have this for a

While pretty technical, Farley has a good article on skimming and how it impacts water chemistry - http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Hope this help.
JW

carpetreef75

Premium member
colaaddict, i'm not sure, i would pick night to turn off my skimmer, the natural reduction in carbon dioxide occurs with photosynthesis during the daylight and the inverse is true at night. While the new bio-load may be less while the fish sleep, the ability for the system to convert nutrients and carbon dioxide is also put on hold at night. This is why your ph goes up during the day and down at night. The skimmer adds (hopefully oxygen - depending on your house - some people actually plumb skimmer air intake from outside) oxygen and helps to maintain ph. So if you were to turn your skimmer off, it would actually be best to do during the day just as your normal ph is rising to it's daily high.

This said, this is not meant to scare you fishbones, you, should be fine for a day or two without a skimmer, just keep an eye on how low your ph goes and be prepared to do a water change or add kalk (i hate buffer, but, some would say add buffer) to keep your ph above 7.7. 7.7 is not the end of the world if its a nightly low, but, i don't think you would want to have this for a

while pretty technical, farley has a good article on skimming and how it impacts water chemistry - http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

hope this help.
Jw
great post .......