Protein skimmer questions

BigNick

Hey guys having trouble with this setup, more of a headache then my 90g by far! Anyways I bought my girlfriend a 16g bow for her bday to put clowns in, I have a fluval c2 power filter and a cpr bak pak2 skimmer, here's the problem I have a lot of micro bubbles, all the bubbles are coming from skimmer return like its just shooting in the tank. Pease help
1 how do I stop it
2 is it harmful
3 I have zoas and a Acan in there right now and clown fish.

Aquaman

I had some in my tank I took one of the plastic net looking scrubbies (new) and jammed a piece in my skimmer problem solved

mine was an aquac remora same thing though

Herbie

Banned
does it look just like this?
View attachment 15759
it looks like they have all that blue media in there to help reduce microbubbles. Did you buy the skimmer new?

Bubbles that collect and get large under rocks or something can create bad dead spaces, but just general fizz is way more unsightly than harmful.

ColaAddict

I suggest just not using a skimmer. most nano skimmers are crap anyway. just run carbon/purigen/poly filter and water changes.

Herbie

Banned
maybe try taking the pump off and running it in a vinegar bath (bucket with 10% or so white vinegar and 90% warm water). If you run the pump in there for a couple hours and then take everything apart and toothbrush out all of the mung you might clear the venturi or something. They obviously have all of that blue material in there to prevent microbubbles, so maybe yours is compacted from time or something as well. Replacing that with filter media or polyfill might help. Your probably just have to keep changing variable until something works. Hopefully someone on here has the same rig and can tell you to just twist the squirrel cage or something.

madjoe

Premium member
The blue stuff does help with micro bubbles but thats not what they put it for its actually bio bail just like bio balls. They usually give u a net to tie around the return to stop micro bubbles. Panty hose works too just put on return and ziptie or rubberband :). Ps the reef version of thw bak pak comes with no biobail and has the most problems with micro bubbles