Prov3:5-6 75 Gal Build/ Equipment list

Prov3:5-6

Well everyone, I ve been here for a few months now and met a great deal of you. I feel comfortable enough to make a thread for my new build. Those of you who have met me know that I am engaged and on a budget with my build. However I don't think owning a reef tank and budget can really be used in the same sentence. But, I digress. I will be updating this thread as I obtain more and more equipment and move further into my build.

Here is what is going on so far, I have built a stand/canopy for a 90 gal tank. It currents supports a 90 gal freshwater. After much consideration i have decided to sacrifice the 4 inches of height, and use a 75 to allow for easier rockscaping and maintenance. I will be selling my 90 gal tank as well as my 30 gal long set up which currently houses my reef.

I will be doing something on this thread that many avoid do to fear of criticism and embarrassment. I will be listing my equipment and the prices I pay for them. I always wanted to see a $$$ list when I was starting out so I could get an idea of what I am looking to spend when getting into the reef game. Hopefully future reefers of America/Chicago can view this and use it as a reference.

Now, I would like as much input and reflection on every post as I can get. Let me know if you like / Dislike brands I buy/ think about buying and tell me if the price was worth it or not. I will put my feelings aside as I want this to be a good reference for those who will jump in eventually.

Sorry for the length....I was a little dramatic here but o well lol

----So far I have the custom built hard wood/ Oak stand and canopy for a 90 gal/ 75 gal tank.= $350 after all customization

----Just bought a Tek 8 bulb T-5 HO fixture with 3 month bulbs for $275.

More updates to follow as well as responses to question and comments. I value all your opinions and advice and if you actually made it all the way through this thread, give yourself a pat on the back because that was TOO DAM LONG!!!:vollkommenauf:

Lil BamBam

Premium member
LOL!! I read the long thread :D You are off to a good start so far.. Lets see pictures of that stand...

Custom hardwood / Oak, $350 is a sweet deal. Oak doors for a custom stand would run about $40-$50 each assembled and finished...
Exactly, the wood ran a little pricey but we built every little peiece except for the roesettes. We bought those pre made. But yea we built stand, doors, canopy ect. I wanted certain dementions and look and we got it. Money well spent.

View attachment 3775

Sorry I removed on e of the doors so i can measure out my available room for the sump. You might not be able to tell but i raised the stand about 9 inches higher than most traditional stands. This takes away the need to bend over to look into it. Everything is almost at eye level now. Plus more room for storage and sump room under the tank

Tethered_Limbs

that is nice, look a whole lot better with a reef on top. im not that handy, i would buy all this pricey wood n have it come out like crap lul. what are you planning on in here?

As soon as my 75 gal or 90 gal rr tank finds its way here, it will be most likely a mixed reef. Def want a ricordia garden and a anemone garden if room permits

Tethered_Limbs

big fan of the nems. they are awesome. you been checkin craigslist daily? using all the keywords, saltwater, marine, aquarium, fish, fish tank, tank all the good ones lul

I check CL everyday lol prolly like 4-5 times a day. :ranger: I just found my tank!!! A friendly member on here (who shall remain anonymous because i don't know if they want to be mentioned) is upgrading into a awesome set up. He currently has a 75 rr tank and I will be buying his set up from him.

Funlad3

If you want an ASM Mini G Skimmer, I have one with an extra pump that you might be interested in. PM me for a price if you want it, and don't be hesitant with picture updates Sir! :D

Update, Bought a bunch of great equipment from a friend and hopped on board with a bunch of new ideas that are stressing me out lol. After seeing a few nice tanks I am thinking of switching over to LED. I want to think long tern and save money instead of spending $150-$200 on t5 bulbs every 6-8 months. First off, I don't have any handy skills to build my own. Second, I don't know anyone who can build one for me. Third, I need a fixture that will support LPS and Softies for a 75 gal tank and keep my budget under $500. What do we all think? Any tips, info, or warnings for me?

So I ended up picking up the following-

SWC 160 Skimmer
29 Gal Sump
2 Tunze Powerheads
1 mag 7 return
75 lbs of now dry rock
5gal bucket of sand

Paid a total of $275 for all.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
For LEDs, I like my Par38 bulbs. 18" is about the spread of the bulbs I got so they would work nicely with a 75G.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
4 bulbs for a 75G; you could buy one or two extra for artistic lighting. lol I would figure around $80 for non-dimmable up to $125 for dimmable. Prestige-LED and Coral Compulsion would be the ones to ask.

Nxt

Wow, LED is the way to go for sure now. Pricing is great

Makes me want to sell my 4xT5 and get LED.