PSA: Rhizotrochus typus

poidog

PSA: Rhizotrochus typus

Many of the experienced aquarists know the species above and know of the red tape that surrounds it, but since there have been many new reefers on the site as of late, I thought a public service announcement regarding this coral would be helpful.

Rhizotrochus typus or commonly called "rhizo" or "sun coral" is a deep water, non-photosynthetic, LPS coral that is commonly found around Japan. They are solidarity in form meaning they never form colonies of multi heads as to not be confused with sun coral or duncans.

All Rhizotrochus typus are ILLEGAL to import or own in the United States. Rhizotrochus typus is a protected CITES species and therefore illegal to import into this country as the US participates in the CITES treaty. Ownership of the coral is also illegal because of the Lacey Act in which it "makes it unlawful to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce of any fish or wildlife or plants in violation of the laws of the United States."

As responsible reefkeeprs, it is up to us to let retailers and importers know that we will not buy this coral as it is knowingly smuggled into the United States. It is a protected coral for a reason... so that it may be around for future generations.

To help do our part, ChicagoReefs will remove any thread advertising Rhizotrochus typus for sale.

Here are some reading materials and references:
http://reefbuilders.com/2009/09/01/all-rhizotrochus-typus-are-illegally-collected-and-imported/
http://www.cites.org/
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusfd16usca3371.htm
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/arus16publlr27.htm

Pufferpunk

I had 2, they lasted about 2 years. Lost both of them. :( I won't be purchasing these corals again. They sure liked to eat!

bigt22005

a coral is a coral if it is brought into the us and i have been looking for it and if its beautiful and i know i could take care of it i will buy it. period. people take some things a lil too far its not that serious to be afraid to buy something you want.

poidog

a coral is a coral if it is brought into the us and i have been looking for it and if its beautiful and i know i could take care of it i will buy it. period. people take some things a lil too far its not that serious to be afraid to buy something you want.
Really? So, the the international community has taken things too far by protecting a coral that needs protection? This sounds to me of just ignorance for selfish gain. Perhaps if these corals were left alone to flourish in their natural environment they could reproduce to levels where there wouldn't be a concern to protect them.

This thread is not made to debate the issue, as you can't debate US law or an international treaty. If you have a problem with it, hire a lawyer and file a law suit so you can buy all the Rhizotrochus typus you want.

FishBeard

If nobody buys them then nobody smuggles them in. That's the whole point of it.
That's not the point. They will continue to be smuggled in whether the end consumer buys them or not. The point is that they ARE being smuggled to the point that it has taken international cooperation to outlaw the collection, distribution and ownership of these animals so they will have a chance at survival for future generations. Unfortunately where there is profit to be made, some people will choose money over the survivability of a species. All we are doing by not buying them is proving to ourselves that we are better than that and know how to practice responsible husbandry.

Herbie

Banned
How do you feel about white rhinos bigt? I do agree that people go too far with, well everything really, and that logically; extinction is just part of the process (waaaay more animals went extinct before humans ever showed up than will while we exist), but I wouldn't want to contribute to a preventable extinction just because something is purdy. We look back at the extermination of homing pigeons because of their pretty feathers and rhino-foot trash cans as silly and tragic extravagancies of the unenlightened and I don't think this is really much different. I'm no tree hugger, but if simply picking a different coral for my aquarium (an extravagance at best) can, in some miniscule way, prevent an extinction then that seems to be the logical choice. Just ask Sean Connery in Medicine Man! (MHO and with respect to all opinions)

bigt22005

what im saying is this rhyzo would be great for collection not for selling or reproducing to sell its always someone out there who wants a specific coral...people are looking at the us but where they originate japan there doing the same thing over there not everybodys smuggling how about the japanese are giving them to us they need money too we dont know if there collecting to reproduce to sell we just know that its illegal for us to get them....since i first heard about them it was something i wanted. so i got it im not going to sell it thats wrong im keeping it.

FishBeard

what im saying is this rhyzo would be great for collection not for selling or reproducing to sell its always someone out there who wants a specific coral...people are looking at the us but where they originate japan there doing the same thing over there not everybodys smuggling how about the japanese are giving them to us they need money too we dont know if there collecting to reproduce to sell we just know that its illegal for us to get them....since i first heard about them it was something i wanted. so i got it im not going to sell it thats wrong im keeping it.
You are proving everyone else right, and yourself wrong. You admit to BUYING and POSSESSING these illegal corals. You have promoted the illegal collection of these corals simply by putting them in your tank. You don't need to resell it to break the law yourself.

bigt22005

Really? So, the the international community has taken things too far by protecting a coral that needs protection? This sounds to me of just ignorance for selfish gain. Perhaps if these corals were left alone to flourish in their natural environment they could reproduce to levels where there wouldn't be a concern to protect them.

This thread is not made to debate the issue, as you can't debate US law or an international treaty. If you have a problem with it, hire a lawyer and file a law suit so you can buy all the Rhizotrochus typus you want.
im not debating or ignorant do you own one personally have you ever had one if so welcome to the coral collection if not too bad there beautiful and thrive very well....make sure to feed them is all i can say...what if people gave them away instead of selling then what? it would be a problem...either way it goes its a loss loss im pretty sure they are reproducing in grave amounts where they are and iv also been hearing that they are reproducing in indo as well....why does foster and smith sell blanos? isnt that the same as a rhyzo? arent they illegal? hmm....