PSA: Rhizotrochus typus

bigt22005

You are proving everyone else right, and yourself wrong. You admit to BUYING and POSSESSING these illegal corals. You have promoted the illegal collection of these corals simply by putting them in your tank. You don't need to resell it to break the law yourself.
puffer did too chestize him also

poidog

You are right, in Japan it is not considered smuggling because they are from Japanese waters. However, there may be local laws in Japan limiting or restricting their removal from the ocean. It is considered smuggling if a CITES protected species crosses boarders with any of these countries:
http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/parties/alphabet.php

Remember, it was not Japan that put it on the list so only they can gain from the species, but an international oversite committee.

If the Japanese were reproducing them and selling an aquaculture species then they wouldn't have to "smuggle" them and they would be exported with proper CITES permits. Since there have been 0 CITES permits filed for Rhizotrochus typusin the US, you can safely assume they are all illegally here.

(plus if there was successful aquaculture of Rhizotrochus typus this would be big news in the reefing community and we would all be aware of it - it's not like some secret Japanese facility underground where they are growing corals).

bigt22005

i never said i bought it...lol collecting may be wrong for a short species but like i said everything is gone too far..people are so protective of something they hv had die on them..why would someone buy jelly fish??? shouldnt they stay in their location... why would someone buy a shark???? dont they get too big for home aquraiums...hey yet people still own and buy.

FishBeard

i never said i bought it...lol collecting may be wrong for a short species but like i said everything is gone too far..people are so protective of something they hv had die on them..why would someone buy jelly fish??? shouldnt they stay in their location... why would someone buy a shark???? dont they get too big for home aquraiums...hey yet people still own and buy.
So you want to justify your wrongs by pointing out the wrongs of others?

nanodude87

Have these always been illegal to have/import? Years back I fell in love with them but never did purchase one. This is the first I'm reading of them being illegal now that I'm back in the hobby. Just curious when this actually happened.

mannysmusic

That's interesting. I had no idea these were banned from having them. I see them for sale all the time!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk