Pulled the trigger on the 240. OMG OMG OMG

caragol

I did it, I pulled the trigger. 8' tank coming my way. Same dimensions as a 180, but with an extra 2 feet. It's a glasscages, of which I know there are varying opinions. Supposedly quality has gone up since many of the old complaints, but the owner is still a pain. We'll see. Regardless, I ordered through Tom@Aquascapes Chicago. He was able to get it to me cheaper than I could have ordered it directly and, here's what's awesome, will deliver it to my house. This removes the biggest pain I could see in getting a tank like this. Either paying $500+ in freight or trying to get a bunch of guys following me in a Uhaul to wherever I'm supposed to pick it up and drive back.

I went 240, which is only 2' tall simply because it's going in my low-height basement and I have to get on top of it for aquascaping and the rest. There's a hole punched in the wall so it's a straight shot down from my garage, so it shouldn't be awful to get in other than the weight, but no turns on stairs or anything.

Also, +1 to Tom@Aquascapes. Great guy, I kept excusing myself to leave but couldn't stop talking to him.

So... once I build my stand and that's in, it will be time to talk fish room design.

Had to tell someone besides my wife.

adam87

Nice, you be will happy with staying with a 2' tall tank. I had a 30'' tall tank it was a pain in the butt to clean it. That tank leaked and my new tank now is 24'' tall.

caragol

I am pretending for the moment that tanks never leak.

My concern with the 2' tall is that I want some room for a tang or two to swim. There will be left-right room but not a ton of up-down room. But, with a 30' or 32' tall tank I figured I'd be near the ceiling, with half my body in the tank trying to reach things.

DD

"Rambo"
I am pretending for the moment that tanks never leak.

My concern with the 2' tall is that I want some room for a tang or two to swim. There will be left-right room but not a ton of up-down room. But, with a 30' or 32' tall tank I figured I'd be near the ceiling, with half my body in the tank trying to reach things.
Congrats on the purchase!

As far as tangs go, you should be fine with an 8' tank. I'm sure the tang police would be fine with that lol!

Looking forward to the build!

caragol

Have not thought about stocking yet, a ways away from that. I was thinking blue damsels, domino damsels, and those yellow tail damsels. Just kidding. I've always been more into coral than fish and topped out at 4' tanks so I never had many options. I'm not fancy. A few yellow tangs, chromis, anthias, true percs, maybe try to get a couple dwarf angels in there (8' will hopefully keep them from fighting). A blue hepatus. No divers den stuff for me. Again, I haven't thought it out. The only fish that are a must are my true percs. Coral will be a big mix like always. I tend to fill my tanks with frags, and whatever grows the fastest wins. That being said, this tank will look empty if I do that, but I also don't want to fill it with fast growing coral that I'd regret or spend $10k on a bunch of colonies that I don't know will like my tank anyway.

caragol

Definitely will be a build thread, it might be a empty tank sitting on a stand for a while, but it will be documented for sure. I need to make water changes easy, which is why I'll be posting room specs once it's in.

caragol

I need to figure out my sump, get some rock and sand, lights... I've got some time before stocking. Right now, keeping it simple. Homebrew-sump with a big fuge, LED lights, turtles maybe, whatever people use for return pumps these days (I've been out of the sump game with small tanks for a while). For return pumps I'm a low flow guy. I like to get my display flow from powerheads, and just like a low flow through the sump for a skimmer and fuge.

caragol

Might be here sooner than I had planned. I missed out on some group buys because I thought it didn't make sense. I may be kicking myself for not getting some turtles or group LEDs.

caragol

Then I'll need some help on knowing what to get. This is a long tank. Want to create some low flow areas too for leathers and some soft stuff. Need to plan aquascape around that. Maybe SPS/LPS island and high flow side and low-end SPS and leather/softies. If flow is heavy on one side of the tank, will that just piss off fish?

caragol

And it's here on Saturday. Very excited. It can't see water for another 3-4 weeks, but that's OK since I need to move it to it's final location, build out the stand, figure out a sump, set up plumbing, etc etc.

caragol

She doesn't know the size yet, wasn't interested enough to ask. She might freak out. Not kidding here.