Pump considerations for ATO running up from my basement

100LL

I'm running a tunze 3155 ATO and just bought the outlet adapter so I can upgrade the pump and start pumping water up from a large reservoir in my basement. Thank God! The head height is about 12' but will be through a very small diameter tube. I'd like to avoid major overkill but I don't feel like buying a smallish pump only to find that it doesn't work in this application and then sit in a box until the end of time. Anyone else have something similar going or have any experience with head height using small diameter tubing? Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Currently running about 1.5-1.6gal per day.

Irsug1

Premium member
Avast Marine Diaphragm Pump is what you need. You can get a switched socket outlet for the Tunze.

Last edited:

ultimatemj

I second the Avast, but would also take look at their peristaltic pump, as it will reliably do 20ft of head pressure.

It would likely last longer and be quieter...but it is twice the cost of the diaphragm pump.

100LL

Avast Marine Diaphragm Pump is what you need. You can get a switched socket outlet for the Tunze.
Thanks for the quick response on this. I have the tunze switched socket outlet in hand and I'm looking forward getting it up and running.

100LL

Just a quick circle back thank you to [MENTION=2151]Irsug1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2300]ultimatemj[/MENTION] for suggesting the Avast pump. I've had it running for several months and couldn't be happier. The thing offers amazing capabilities and will suck or push water over tremendous height and/or distance. If anyone has questions about a remote ATO application, I will be happy to try answering any questions and offer my opinion based on my experience.

100LL

Did you get the diaphragm or peristaltic pump?
I'm using the diaphragm pump and "pushing" water up from the basement. If I were installing under the tank side, I would probably try the peristaltic pump. Thanks again for the great recommendation.