Purigen pack questions

CoralN00b

I picked up one of these purigen packs while I am still deciding on a protein skimmer. I was wondering if any of you use this or not?

I have a 28 gal jbj nano. Just the stock hqi model. I am adding a skimmer but I am still doing my research on one. I have had a few recommendations here but I am still doing my research.

Do any of you use this purigen pack? Also, where is the best place to put it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

frostyjay1

They make media baskets for the jbj's for the middle chamber. the purigen can go in there. also as far as skimmer, check out the new comline from tunze

yogoshio

Purigen is great. It's a carbon replacement that also absorbs nitrates. Awesome stuff. I keep a pack in my angler tank all the time since they eat/poop so much.

CoralN00b

Hey guys, so I have the media basket and I have the purigen. I bought this used the the guy before me had the carbon and sponge that came with the tank. Is it better to use this basket and use the purigen instead of the carbon or should I use chaeto in there instead?

I can't find anything online that recommends how to use this. I would prefer the chaeto because my research shows most reefers prefer it. Can I put chaeto in the middle chamber with the light and then purigen in one of the other chambers? If so, is there one chamber that is better than the other for the purigen?

What do you guys think? As always I greatly appreciate your help.

CoralN00b

OK I found some info from another search. It looks like most people use the media basket and put filter floss on top, chaeto in the second level of the basket, with a submersible light and then purigen in the bottom level of the basket.

Anybody see an issue with that? Currently I have a black filter floss sponge, carbon and then the ceramic rings. What do you recommend?

sparky5785

We ran filter floss purigen and chemipure elite in our nc28 media basket. Check out this website it has tons of accessories and upgrades for all different kinds of nanos. Mediabaskets.com

Sent from the third galaxy.

jfarris1976

Ya from top to bottom I use filter floss (carbon) middle Purigen, and bottom I use Chempure Elite
I use the media basket from INTANK

fredfish13

got the intank basket with my bc14. took the sponge out since it was a pain to get my hand in there to clean every WC. run floss, purigen, then chemipure elite in basket nowadays.

CoralN00b

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Pufferpunk

I have about 10 bags of Purigen in my sump. There's a shelf there that used to keep a sponge, so I pack them in there.

Joe5688

What's the reason for running puragin and chemi.elite? Is it because the elite has gfo in it? I've been wondering what to run in my nano. Couldn't u just put bags of carbon and Gfo.In the chambers and get the same effect for cheaper?

Sorry I'm.new to the nano stuff lol

Lil BamBam

Premium member
What's the reason for running puragin and chemi.elite? Is it because the elite has gfo in it? I've been wondering what to run in my nano. Couldn't u just put bags of carbon and Gfo.In the chambers and get the same effect for cheaper?

Same here :p

ColaAddict

I believe purigen also absorbs nitrates. The carbon absorbs whatever purigen doesnt catch and the GFO takes care of the phosphates

sparky5785

Chemipure does nothing for nitrates. Purigen absorbs nitrates and ammonia. Chemipure absorbs phosphates and the carbon absorbs DOCs. You could do that however you'll have to find bags fine enough for gfo the chemipure comes prebagged and pre portioned.

Sent from the third galaxy.

Joe5688

Can u get media bags and put gfo and carbon in there and get the same effect? Seems like a cheaper alternative and i already have gfo and carbon for my 75.

I put both the purigen and chemi elite in my tank yesterday. I couldn't believe how dirty the carbon was while i was rinsing it.