Quarantine or not

pringles

Should I keep do that or not, every time I try to quarantine new fish & it died in a week . On the other hand, if not put them straight to the main tank they are ok . My tank about 8 weeks now, all the without quarantine they are heathy , two fish in quarantine tank die.

nvdiz

well think of it this way... at least they didn't die in your main tank.

what are you doing differently between main and quarantine?

jm23

Yes and No. IMO everything, fish, coral, inverts should be put in a QT. This will save you headaches in the future. That being said it depends on what you are trying to quarantine the fish for. If it is only for Ich and you already have fish in your tank that haven't been quarantined then it is most likely already in your tank and I wouldn't bother with a QT. If you keep losing fish in your QT you might be having ammonia spikes. Depending on how you have it set up you will need to do a combination of prime (ammonia remover) and water changes. I learned the hard way about quarantining everything and am doing it the right way now.

Yes and No. IMO everything, fish, coral, inverts should be put in a QT. This will save you headaches in the future. That being said it depends on what you are trying to quarantine the fish for. If it is only for Ich and you already have fish in your tank that haven't been quarantined then it is most likely already in your tank and I wouldn't bother with a QT. If you keep losing fish in your QT you might be having ammonia spikes. Depending on how you have it set up you will need to do a combination of prime (ammonia remover) and water changes. I learned the hard way about quarantining everything and am doing it the right way now.
Take it from one who knows Jon has been thru it pretty safe to say will never put anything str8 in the tank again

pringles

I used water from my main tank to set up qt ,& 25% Wc every two day . Also, check for ph, ammonia, temp....but till no luck

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
If there isn't ammonia then it should be fairly easy to keep fish alive in qt. How big is your QT and how many fish did you put in it? Were you running copper and, if so, did you test to make sure the concentration wasn't too high?

jm23

If there isn't ammonia then it should be fairly easy to keep fish alive in qt. How big is your QT and how many fish did you put in it? Were you running copper and, if so, did you test to make sure the concentration wasn't too high?
+1, Also some fish are far more sensitive to copper and need a slow build up or a different method entirely. Any other medications? Using DT water isn't a bad thing, but most of your bacteria populations are not free swimming, so this won't be enough to act as your biological filter. 25% water changes every two days might work, but that depends on like Eric touched on the amount of fish and size of tank. I know when I was doing the Tank Transfer Method and dosing prime I needed at least a 50% water change every two days to keep the ammonia low (I decided this last round to do a transfer every two days instead of three and avoided the water changes all together and got more transfers in, while using the same amount of water in the end). Also depending on where you bought your fish from they might not have been healthy to begin with and nothing you could have done would have changed them dying.

ColaAddict

it would be easier if you cycled you QT, then your new fishes have better chance of staying healthy. just put some live rock in there for instant cycle.

rmeugene

Premium member
So…I have lost my third fish in QT…a neon dotyback and 2 6 line wrasses. I have a permanent QT setup, 20g long with 2 heaters, 2 koralia nano's, AC70 w/ ceramics from my DT sump. It was setup for a month before my 1st resident - the doty. It lasted 2 weeks - each week I did a dose of Prazi. It had some stringy poop looking stuff when it died. Maybe some type of parasite? I did pretty much 100% water change and 2 weeks later introduced a six line. Lasted one day. I might have screwed up the acclimation process on that one. 2 weeks ago another six line. Did the dose of prazi and wait a week, dose prazi again and wait a week. Fish ate like a pig consistantly. Very active. Did a 50% water change yesterday after the two weeks of prazi and today the fish is at the bottom. Change water was same temp and salinity as the QT. Checked Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate - <5, PH - 7.9.

All I can figure is that it could not handle the 50% water change as it is just too much of a coincidence that it was doing extremely well and the day after the 50% change it dies. I have read the referenced thread mention above ( http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588 ) and it was what I modeled my QT from. I am really at a loss and totally bummed.