quarantine tank

Jimbojames

Looking to set up qt tank. Im going to use a old 29 gallon or ten gallon, with a hob filter or canister filter, i was talking to brain and he was saying to use Prazipro and metro and look into rid-ich plus to see if its reef safe, i was going to use the same tank for fish and coral so no copper, i was going to dip corals in coral rx before adding to qt tank.

Any other idea or ways to do this?

If a fish has internal parasites and it gets into ythe Display tank will it give other fish internal parasites?

Reeflogic

It's kind of a loaded question James, yes it will spread or can spread. If you have not QT'd ALL of your display tanks fish, then even if you QT a fish for 6 months and add him in the display, he can still stress and get crypto. Crypto can be present / dormant in healthy systems and once you add a stressed fish, it can rear its ugly head. So the question boils down to your patience and willingness to eradicate the problem, or just keep it in check.

Eradicate would require display tank going fallow and all fish going through QT treatment, for roughly 28+ days, I have read numerous arguments on the actual time frame, but 4-6 weeks seems to have proven success. If you just want to keep it in check, you can treat your QT fish for flukes, Ich (crypto), worms, etc. over a few weeks and get them trained on prepared foods and try and get them very healthy before adding them to the display. There is obviously more to QT than first meets the eye, several things to consider.

I am currently running a 40g breeder with hyposalinity and treating with a combo of metro / prazi. I have a decent size sponge filter that i cycled prior to filling up the QT in my display sump. I use a strong powerhead instead of an airstone and I also have an old hang on skimmer from a nano system I used to run. I use it for skimming, but more importantly for bringing up oxygen levels. Running hyposalinity will help with the oxygen rich water and from what I have read, helps reduce stress by allowing the fish to use less energy on filtering saltwater and using the energy for its own immune system, to help battle diseases and parasites. If you research Hypo, you will read about a million different theories, especially on the exact salinity. Seems it has a pretty large variance for success and from what I read, it also seems to increase the success rate of medicinal treatments.

I highly recommend Googling up some proven techniques for QT's and then weigh the options and see which works best for you. One thing I recently learned is that trace amounts of Nitrites wont effect saltwater fish, as I stressed out that I had zero ammonia and 5 ppm nitrite and no matter how many water changes I did, I could not get the number lower and then I read a report from Randy Holmes-Farley and realized I didn't need to stress ;) QT's can be stressful, you end up putting a fish in a tank with virtually no structure, even with large PVC pieces. The fish look miserable and you sit there daily wanting to move them over lol. Just have to remain patient!!!

I've been keeping fish for a long time and this is my first QT tank, I used to be one of those guys who just tried to keep the fish healthy and eating, to keep ich at bay, but I felt it was time I start doing things right and so far I feel pretty good about my set up. I have had a few fish come through my QT and so far no diseases or deaths! Well, I take that back.... I tried to run cupramine before switching to hypo with metro / prazi, and followed directions to a T, I lost a Kole tang on the second dosage (48 hours into treatment) and immediately gave up on copper, as much negative as I have read on copper, I will not be using it anymore.

Anyways, I tried to spam in as much as I could without getting too long winded lol. Hope some of it helps anyways... let us know how you set it up and your experience with it.

Joe5688

Way more advanced then mine lol.

I run a hob with a sponge from my dt and a heater. Couple pieces of pvc and that's it.

It's kind of a loaded question James, yes it will spread or can spread. If you have not QT'd ALL of your display tanks fish, then even if you QT a fish for 6 months and add him in the display, he can still stress and get crypto. Crypto can be present / dormant in healthy systems and once you add a stressed fish, it can rear its ugly head. So the question boils down to your patience and willingness to eradicate the problem, or just keep it in check.

Eradicate would require display tank going fallow and all fish going through QT treatment, for roughly 28+ days, I have read numerous arguments on the actual time frame, but 4-6 weeks seems to have proven success. If you just want to keep it in check, you can treat your QT fish for flukes, Ich (crypto), worms, etc. over a few weeks and get them trained on prepared foods and try and get them very healthy before adding them to the display. There is obviously more to QT than first meets the eye, several things to consider.

I am currently running a 40g breeder with hyposalinity and treating with a combo of metro / prazi. I have a decent size sponge filter that i cycled prior to filling up the QT in my display sump. I use a strong powerhead instead of an airstone and I also have an old hang on skimmer from a nano system I used to run. I use it for skimming, but more importantly for bringing up oxygen levels. Running hyposalinity will help with the oxygen rich water and from what I have read, helps reduce stress by allowing the fish to use less energy on filtering saltwater and using the energy for its own immune system, to help battle diseases and parasites. If you research Hypo, you will read about a million different theories, especially on the exact salinity. Seems it has a pretty large variance for success and from what I read, it also seems to increase the success rate of medicinal treatments.

I highly recommend Googling up some proven techniques for QT's and then weigh the options and see which works best for you. One thing I recently learned is that trace amounts of Nitrites wont effect saltwater fish, as I stressed out that I had zero ammonia and 5 ppm nitrite and no matter how many water changes I did, I could not get the number lower and then I read a report from Randy Holmes-Farley and realized I didn't need to stress ;) QT's can be stressful, you end up putting a fish in a tank with virtually no structure, even with large PVC pieces. The fish look miserable and you sit there daily wanting to move them over lol. Just have to remain patient!!!

I've been keeping fish for a long time and this is my first QT tank, I used to be one of those guys who just tried to keep the fish healthy and eating, to keep ich at bay, but I felt it was time I start doing things right and so far I feel pretty good about my set up. I have had a few fish come through my QT and so far no diseases or deaths! Well, I take that back.... I tried to run cupramine before switching to hypo with metro / prazi, and followed directions to a T, I lost a Kole tang on the second dosage (48 hours into treatment) and immediately gave up on copper, as much negative as I have read on copper, I will not be using it anymore.

Anyways, I tried to spam in as much as I could without getting too long winded lol. Hope some of it helps anyways... let us know how you set it up and your experience with it.
I figured I'd put a pic of mine, I know I prefer to SEE stuff I'm researching lol..

View attachment 16659

This thread can be closed now because Doug just preached!! Everything has pretty much been covered in it. Thanks Doug!

Reeflogic

Lmao, not trying to preach lol, just trying to earn my keep around here and spread the wealth! Just happens that I spent the last 2 months reading more than I'd like to on the subject! hopefully more folks chime in with their experiences with QT's too! Even you Sir Walt!

Lmao, not trying to preach lol, just trying to earn my keep around here and spread the wealth! Just happens that I spent the last 2 months reading more than I'd like to on the subject! hopefully more folks chime in with their experiences with QT's too! Even you Sir Walt!
My QT is pretty much the same as yours except that I don't run a skimmer and I utilize K1 media. I medicate with copper as I have had horrible luck with hypo. I feed the fish the medicated food that has been discussed on here that contains metro, selcon and focus. I also feed Dr. G's food (All 3 frozen). The only place that I know locally that sells it is Old Orchard Aquarium. I fight diseases and pest externally and internally. My QT tank is only 10 gallons since I only keep small fish so it doesn't take up too much space and I keep the light off for most of the treatment. I try not to stress the fish anymore then they already are while in QT.

When my tank had ich, i broke down my entire system and QTed coral and fish into separate systems. Fish were in copper with PVC tubes to use and corals were dipped going in and going out. I hated waiting, but like Doug said, you have to have patience if you're going to do it right.

Reeflogic

See, that's awesome, my bad experience with cupramine may have been a fluke, but it was enough to get me learning more about hypo. Which copper brand do you use and about what ppm do you run during treatment? I'm currently QTing a purple tang and an anthias trio in hypo (1.012) I am afraid to go any lower, tank is being treated with API metro/prazi "general" cure and I too use a mix with Selcon, Brightwells garlic powder and metro (haven't found the focus stuff yet). Purple tang showed 2 spots of crypto first day and I'm on day 5 (got them the day I saw you at RW). I'm just watching it now and hoping it poofs soon, he eats like a pig, as does the male anthias, the 2 females aren't taking to anything yet.... *nervous*

Thanks for sharing Walt, hopefully more folks chime in!

I forgot to add, don't try and treat a hyposalinity set up with copper, from my understanding, it is pretty lethal.

madjoe

Premium member
I run a 29 gal qt with 2 cpr back pack skimmers and a hang on filter over kill i know but they were laying around doing nothing lol. And i run copper power in it . Stuff works great and cured every sick fish i ever had i would say 95 % survival rate on fish in the last 5 yrs and i buy alot of fish sell when they grow or i get bored of them . I dont ever test copper levels this stuff is lot safer for the fish then regular copper ive even kept puffers and eels in it no issues.

jim1mckenna

I confused about Q tank do you keep it up all the time ir just set up when you get new fish then take dowwn and start over?

madjoe

Premium member
I confused about Q tank do you keep it up all the time ir just set up when you get new fish then take dowwn and start over?
Mine stays up all the time. For the sick or the cast aways i leave it running at all times. When i change reef tank water i use that water to do wc in qt so i dont use extra salt. And the tank is there when i need.