question for police and lawyers on here

erok90

I know there are a couple of cops and some lawyers on here.my question is can police officers use their personal vehicle to pull people over? I've seen a bunch of people on fb posting unmarked vehicles some with regular plates pulling people over.I sure in some states they cant but is illinois one of them.there is this video on youtube.

http://youtu.be/ZaQyiIizgU8

Last edited:

Smitty

Premium member
No....not supposed to. I did it once to get a DUI driver off of 94W, but at the same time I had called state police to advise what I was doing...I only did it at that time because it was a safety concern for the public.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inocense

PD's have unmarked vehicles without municipality plates.. Usually they are seized vehicles but they are used for under cover and take home vehicles. Now I am not saying that these particular vehicles pertain to your question but something you should know in reference to your question. :)

erok90

I know they have unmarked cars but they almost always have mp plated.a undercover car doesn't.but what I'm saying is can a cop use his car.his own personal vehicle that he paid for slap some lights on it and pull people over.just like in the video.where is the safety? Whats to stop criminals from puting lights on their cars and pulling people over and robbing them or worse.taxes payers pay for marked police vehicles so why are they not being used?

Inocense

A law enforcement officer is a LEO on and "off duty". They are required by law to act as such. I think this is a fine line and "Can they", well sure they can. Do their department rules and regulations authorize this or do they frown upon it is the better question. In rural towns this is normal, hell, in Hawaii Officers are paid to use their personal vehicles. So your question is a bit loaded to be honest. What prevents civilians from putting lights on their vehicles and pulling people over while impersonating Police Officers, well... The law I suppose, and the stiff penalty that comes along with Police impersonation. Civilians like yourself that ask the questions.

ColaAddict

Crooks have been improsenating PD for awhile now, using strobe lights and people were actually falling for it and they get robbed. You don't have to immediately stop for unmarked car trying to stop you, as long as you call 911 to verify that the person following you is a real Police officer. Once you call 911, they contact the unmarked car to explain why you are not stopping and go from there.

Last edited:

vucious

I agree with what everyone is saying here. I always tell my wife to call 911 if she is being pulled over at night and keep driving until she can find a well lit area.

jrpark22000

Premium member
just to lighten up the serious conversation... Make sure to call 911 handsfree :rofl:

[video=youtube;ly1al4K3u2M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly1al4K3u2M[/video]

Smitty

Premium member
Crooks have been improsenating PD for awhile now, using strobe lights and people were actually falling for it and they get robbed. You don't have to immediately stop for unmarked car trying to stop you, as long as you call 911 to verify that the person following you is a real Police officer. Once you call 911, they contact the unmarked car to explain why you are not stopping and go from there.
Very good answer

Smitty

Premium member
The answer is still no....no the police can not pull you over in their "personal" vehicle. You cannot tell if the person is real or impersonating. That's why we have marked squad cars and state issued plates on unmarked. If anything else tries, call 911 and don't pull over until you get to a well lit area with other people there to witness the stop. Depts don't allow it because it's a liability and safety concern. I've worked internal affairs division in the past and I'm currently a police sgt., so I know a lil bit about the subject. :)

Gary

In Florida a unmarked car without MP or SP ID cannot pull you over. Not sure how it is for IL. I'd keep driving with hazards on until I get somewhere safe for not only myself but also the officer involved assuming it is legit. I'd just find a way to let him know I'm aware he is behind me and wanting me to pull over.

Slimm

U.S. marshals and ICE agents use unmarked and locally plated vehicles quite often, but they aren't usually doing routine traffic stops. You would have to be acting pretty crazy for that to happen.

Slimm

I did. Just because you can doesn't always mean you should. But that's my opinion. Can they? Yes, apparently some departments allow it.

Siebo

Premium member
[video=youtube;KZwzzDUKn2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwzzDUKn2Y&list=PLoxADsZ9YforxtjWODy3Kz_8JjLH-Nxp7&index=5[/video]

rosko23

The answer is still no....no the police can not pull you over in their "personal" vehicle. You cannot tell if the person is real or impersonating. That's why we have marked squad cars and state issued plates on unmarked. If anything else tries, call 911 and don't pull over until you get to a well lit area with other people there to witness the stop. Depts don't allow it because it's a liability and safety concern. I've worked internal affairs division in the past and I'm currently a police sgt., so I know a lil bit about the subject. :)

Smitty my car isn't 'marked or m plate.. =) and it's been used 1 or 2 times to do stops...

Remember the Feds don't have police cars.. They usually have local pd help.. But sometimes they don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk