Questions about refugiums

Darienreefs7

I am setting up a 29 gallon fuge for my new build and I have some questions.. Should I use Miracle mud/Fiji mud? I have a ten pound bag from off of eBay that I havent opened yet? Next is should I do deep sand bed? I have about 30 lbs I could use. And finally do I need a decent amount of water flow? I have the drain from my display but other than that don't know if I need more flow? I plan on running the return very fast. Thanks and this is my first refugium so I don't know very much about them. Any input will be appreciated!

Spartanman22

I have never used miracle mud so cannot comment on that. Every fuge I have ever ran has had the following: 3-4" sand minimum, some rock, and Chaeto all lit by a 250 watt halogen spot light from Home Depot (cost like $8). This combo has been very successful for me in the past. My Chaeto would grow like a weed and I'd be giving away about a 5 gallon buckets worth every 1-2 months.

But there are several other methods of success as well.

Darienreefs7

I have never used miracle mud so cannot comment on that. Every fuge I have ever ran has had the following: 3-4" sand minimum, some rock, and Chaeto all lit by a 250 watt halogen spot light from Home Depot (cost like $8). This combo has been very successful for me in the past. My Chaeto would grow like a weed and I'd be giving away about a 5 gallon buckets worth every 1-2 months.

But there are several other methods of success as well.
Im using the led fuge lights from CC. They grow macro like mad.. so I guess I'm just gonna ditch the miracle mud and go for DSB?

Spartanman22

I have a cc bulb on my fuge currently (more like a xenia tank). But once I tear out the xenia I'm going to switch back to a halogen spot light most likely. I can't comment on the miracle mud since I have no experience with it. All I can say is I've had good results with a dsb.

Darienreefs7

I have a cc bulb on my fuge currently (more like a xenia tank). But once I tear out the xenia I'm going to switch back to a halogen spot light most likely. I can't comment on the miracle mud since I have no experience with it. All I can say is I've had good results with a dsb.
The thing is it isn't a name brand bad of mud. I'm probably just gonna resell it on ebay. I have the sand so I'll just do DSB. Thanks for the input!

Spartanman22

To be honest I would be too concerned about it being a name brand or not but that's just me. Hopefully someone with some experience with the muds can chime and give some advice on it

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was just curious. Is sand/mud required or can I just throw some chaeto in the section of my sump and put a light over it?

Darienreefs7

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was just curious. Is sand/mud required or can I just throw some chaeto in the section of my sump and put a light over it?
I'm curious as well. No need to feel like you are hijacking the thread. I would say at LEAST put rubble rock and then chaeto and a light.

madjoe

Premium member
I used mud before makes a mess at first but corals seemed to love it but suppose to top off with layer of sand then u suposse to replenish the mudafter some time its pia so i run a dsb and calerpa but mines a remote 20 gal tall fuge not in my sump . I can shut it down and do maintance on it for weeks and tank will still run fine i dont recomend sand in sump fugees may cause issues down the road some macro algae and rubble for the critters to hide be best . Ive seen people mess with there fuges in the sump and crash there tank buy stiring it all up releaseing all the crap into there system thats why i went remote . Im running a 9w led fixture mostly red few white bulbs works great im to cheap to keep buying gfo lol . I tried cheato but does grow for me ive heard it needs to tumble gently to get best results but dont know how true that is

Darienreefs7

I used mud before makes a mess at first but corals seemed to love it but suppose to top off with layer of sand then u suposse to replenish the mudafter some time its pia so i run a dsb and calerpa but mines a remote 20 gal tall fuge not in my sump . I can shut it down and do maintance on it for weeks and tank will still run fine i dont recomend sand in sump fugees may cause issues down the road some macro algae and rubble for the critters to hide be best . Ive seen people mess with there fuges in the sump and crash there tank buy stiring it all up releaseing all the crap into there system thats why i went remote . Im running a 9w led fixture mostly red few white bulbs works great im to cheap to keep buying gfo lol . I tried cheato but does grow for me ive heard it needs to tumble gently to get best results but dont know how true that is
I have a separate system for my refugium. It drains into the sump. Will that work?

madjoe

Premium member
I have a separate system for my refugium. It drains into the sump. Will that work?
Yes as long as your supply is from the sump also i pull from tank and drain back into tank . You will like the fuge alot better then just haveing a fuge area in the sump

Darienreefs7

Yes as long as your supply is from the sump also i pull from tank and drain back into tank . You will like the fuge alot better then just haveing a fuge area in the sump
I've never ran a fuge but I wanted a separate and big one so I could put a lot of chaeto and rock in.

madjoe

Premium member
I've never ran a fuge but I wanted a separate and big one so I could put a lot of chaeto and rock in.
Its the heart and soul of my tank takes awhile to establish but once it does i am positive the only reason my tank does so good and i havent crashed yet is because of the fuge

Its the heart and soul of my tank takes awhile to establish but once it does i am positive the only reason my tank does so good and i havent crashed yet is because of the fuge
If I already have a running tank and sump, have any suggestions on how to possibly plumb an external fuge? Besides doing one of those HOB fuges? Unless I just throw some chaeto in my return compartment and block the return pump with some eggcrate.

Darienreefs7

If I already have a running tank and sump, have any suggestions on how to possibly plumb an external fuge? Besides doing one of those HOB fuges? Unless I just throw some chaeto in my return compartment and block the return pump with some eggcrate.
You could take madjoes 90 and set up a huge display fuge?

msujohn

How much flow do you typically have in a fuge? Is it a slow flow or do you have a powerhead in the fuge to increase the flow?

madjoe

Premium member
My set up is simple no drilling of main tank or anything i took a 20h that was drilled with a drain at top of tank . just pump water from sump or tank into fuge i basically use a pump from one of those cpr bakpak skimmers they sell pumps seperate then i made sure the drain hole was few inches above what i was draining back into and ran pvc . Like i said if u pump from the sump u have to drain back to sump i pump from tank so drain back into tank . No power heads just a 9w led mostly red few whites slower flow seems to work best for mine lets the algae asorb more